Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GT laid eggs and I'm not sure if they are fertilized. She is very defensive and the Oscar has given up and floats at the top all white and stressed. If they aren't going to hatch, will removing them get rid of all the extra tension? She laid them within the last day or 2 I'm guessing.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
No, the eggs would not have been fertilized since there is no male in the tank to fertilize the eggs. They will all fungus with in 2-3 days.
If the Oscar were a male and they had paired up and acted as one team (which they are obviously not), then there maybe a very slight chance that this cross could produce offspring, though no such crossing has ever been reported. A Green terror can hybridize with other Acaras (such as a Blue Acara) and there has been at least one thread that shows it can sometimes hybridize with CA cichlids (GT x Convict) even though they are more distantly related. Another very remote possibility is 'selfing' where a lone cichlid reproduces by being able to produce both sperm and egg.....but this is an extremely rare occurrence. Sometimes possible but extremely unlikely.
Removing the eggs is a good idea IMO, given the state of your Oscar. It should lessen the aggression even quicker then waiting for the eggs to fungus in 2-3 days. But it really won't solve your stocking problems. i think you will have to conseider getting rid of one or the other. Just 2 cichlids in a tank very seldom works out OK in my opinion. Choose one cichlid with non-cichlid tankmates; or many cichlids if you have the tank space.

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
+1 to BC in SK
-
And wow.... is this the 'General African Cichlid Discussion' section of the forum? So, are Andinocara rivulatus, (Green Terror) from (somewhere) in Africa? My goodness! I'm sure there is an aquarium (somewhere) in Africa with a Green Terror in it. :roll:
And you haven't informed how large the aquarium is that your pair of New World Cichlids are living in. Long term though to keep a single, adult-sized Oscar - you're gonna need a six foot long tank. You might be surprised at how much better your Cichlids will behave with more room - and possibly some more tank mates stocked in there with them to play around with. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts