Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I recently went into an aquarium store and stupidly bought a: green terror, rainbow shark, bala shark and black knife ghost fish. I had a 65 litre tank at the time and the shop assistant stated that these species would live together fine (didn’t mention the size they will grow to..). This is completely my fault and I should’ve done further research before proceeding, because after this impulsive decision, my black ghostknife fish is DEAD. The green terror has been chasing the Bala shark around - especially during feeding time. This behaviour has gotten increasingly aggressive, to the point where my Bala shark was acting strange and swimming at the top of my tank (in one spot). Anyways, I was in the process of cycling my new 200L tank, but I decided to do an emergency fish in cycle with the Bala shark since the green terror was just getting more aggressive by the minute.

I would basically like further advice as to what I am able to do at this stage. I was planning to transfer all the fishes over to the larger 200L tank once the cycle is finished, but I’m concerned about the cichlid’s behaviour. I don’t have another large tank to isolate the cichlid (rainbow shark and green terror are getting along OK as they were from the same tank in the store).

I’ve been doing multiple water changes and dosing seachem prime to attempt to fix my mistakes. I don’t want the other fishes to end up like the knifefish.

Any advice on my dilemma is greatly appreciated 👍🏻

·
Super Moderator
5,823 Posts
Hello.
And, Welcome To Cichlid Forum! :)
-
My goodness...... it's definitely time for reset!
So well, here it comes.
  • The 17 gallon (65ltr) tank that you started with, was good to basically grow out a single Green Terror. And that was only for the duration of about 3 - 4 months. After that, your Green Terror will grow too big for that size aquarium!
  • The BIG 52 gallon (200ltr) tank - is actually not that big. And unfortunately, you still have too many fish to comfortably house in it. And info, your Green Terror WILL easily attain 11+ inches in heavy-bodied length. The more slender Bala Shark, will average out to about 13 to 14 inches in adult length.
So, short of getting a much larger tank than the 200ltr - you are left with two choices.
1) The Green Terror is placed in the 200ltr by himself. Done. And congratulations, you now have a 'Wet Pet'! The Bala is sent back to the LFS and the little Rainbow could be kept in the 65ltr.
2) Goodbye Green Terror - :( SAD FACE :( - And now the Bala Shark becomes the new 'Big Guy' in the 200ltr. It is stocked in that tank with the Rainbow (and some smaller-growing friends) for a more peaceful community tank. The 65ltr is kept on as an initial quarantine tank - potential hospital treatment tank. This is the aquarium you will initially place your new fish acquisitions into for 4 - 6 weeks, before transferring them (safely - disease free) over to the 200ltr community.
-
And yes, a much smaller-growing Cichlid species could replace the Green Terror for stocking in the 200ltr community tank. (NO spawning pairs!) And sorry, if this might be news you may not have wanted to hear. But, those proposed solutions WILL solve your dilemma.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts