Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

In every picture I've seen of green severums they are speckled or spotted, never solid. I picked one up recently and it appears solid. I realize the color changes with mood, but darker or lighter this one remains solid. I also realize the color changes as the fish matures, but I've seen plenty of juveniles that show the speckles.

So, is there a solid form? Do they all just vary? Or, will this fish most likely develop a speckled body coloration?

Thank you for any input!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,671 Posts
Interesting...
- Your pictured Severum looks very young. The speckles will often emerge in Severum as they grow.
Plus, sometimes, high PH water (7.8 - 8.0 plus) can sort of 'wash out' the coloration and speckles on Severum. These black water originating Cichlids can adapt and thrive under higher PH conditions in the aquarium (May not be able to spawn successfully, though). But, they do prefer - and will look and color up their best when kept in softer and neutral to slightly acidic PH water conditions. But, who knows? Maybe you actually have an interesting color 'sport' of this species.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think it's the pH - it's a well established SA tank where everyobe thrives. Don't know pH off hand but neutral to slightly acidic as you say. Plus, this fish has only been here a couple of days and looked like this at the shop.

So many people keep severums I'd expect that people have lots of experience out there with different looking fish.

Looking forward to hearing and maybe seeing some pics.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty surprised no severum keepers posted an observation. Lots of severum keepers I know. It's curious.

Anyone?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems this forum is way less active than it used to be. I thought this was a pretty obvious thing that people would have more info on.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You are correct that this forum is not as active as it once was.
Now to your question. Heros efasciatus males will have spotting on the body and worming/scribbles on the face. Typically, females will be the same color as males but will lack the small body spots and facial markings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts