Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just got back from a couple of nights away with work and it appears that my 'male' yellow peacock is holding. Had been attempting an all male tank (apart from mixed sex yellow labs & rustys) so have male Jakes as well (avatar). The LFS was pretty sure this was a male (was colourful) when it was sold to me. Grrrr... rapidly losing faith in them. :?

So the fish is definitely holding something in its buccal pouch, but could this still be a male? If the fish is holding eggs then I now have hybrids on the way... what can I do about this?

Tried to get a photo, but fish is proving shy and elusive - will continue to try tomorrow.

Thanks for any advice, feel like tank has been one problem after another lately.

Ian.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Well the only thing I can think of a potential colourful peacock holding is possibly a female zebra/peacock mix. We would need pictures. I don't know any colourful female peacocks or haps. Therefore i wouldn't consider colourful peacock to be holding.

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
Dogtanian said:
feel like tank has been one problem after another lately.
Must be the moon, I've been feeling like that too lately. :oops:

Hormoned females can show color. Man made peacock females can show color. I'd let the fish spit in the tank and trade her to the LFS for a male.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DJRansome said:
I'd let the fish spit in the tank and trade her to the LFS for a male.
But if any fry survive, won't I end with some hybrids in the tank that I will then be stuck with?

Thanks,

Ian.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Dogtanian said:
DJRansome said:
I'd let the fish spit in the tank and trade her to the LFS for a male.
But if any fry survive, won't I end with some hybrids in the tank that I will then be stuck with?

Thanks,

Ian.
The odds of fry surviving is small. They aren't the smartest fry in a fish tank.

It is a female, and it is holding. Chances are it was hormoned at some point.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Fogelhund.

Do you happen to know the holding period for peacocks? Just wondering how long it is before I will be able to get rid of her. Doubt the LFS will take it back when holding.

Cheers,

Ian.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'd take her back holding and the LFS can strip her. That way you have proof of their mistake.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts