Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i would love to try out sand or crushed corral cause i have always done gravel but this is new for me so if i went with something like pool sand how would i go about doing it? i have a aqueon 55 that does 350 gallons a hour its a HOB set up and i have a vacuum for siphoning the bio-waste on the bottom but would i have to add anything else special to the water? cause i just want my take fresh water... so would i have to make it brackish?

Sorry about the rookie question i just wanted to do something different!

Thanks guys i need all the advice i can get!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Sand is better then gravel in my opinion. I use it in all my fresh water tanks. Go with pool filter sand it is cheap and looks very good. I would stay away from play sand because it is too fine. Best way to remove old gravel is with a dustpan. Make sure you clean it first. When you rinse your sand (its a must and you should do it over and over) use a pillow case. Rinse and rinse and rinse and rinse. Then rinse again. Oh and did I mention to rinse it. Rinse it until the water is running clear. Good luck and try to post before and after pics. Your loaches will love sand. It doesn't do as much damage to them (they like to burrow).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Flippercon thanks for the advice and i sure will get some pictures post as soon as i can but should i add argonite to the pool filter sand to help keep the PH up?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Like the above posted you don't need anything special when you add sand. It will not change ph. If you are using argonite already in your tank to keep ph where its then yes,but if not no.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I love my PFS and I have a Clown Loach and he does just fine with it.

One thing for sure, I have had sand destroy some impellers on HOB filters. If it gets waterborne and into, at least in my experience, your Penguin 350B's, they are gonna' sound like jet engines on afterburner!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts