Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I need help deciding what I should do, or if I should do it at all. I have a new 55 gallon that has an unknown fate. I was originally going to use it as a species tank, but I want to keep a fish I don't already have. I like variety. I have been reading about Fronts and I know a 55 gallon won't work long term, especially for more than 1. Here is the question, I have a peacock/hap 110 gallon and I was originally going to put a single Front in there, but then I got this 55. I was thinking about putting a pair of fronts, calvus, and clown loaches in the 55. I am worried about size in the future though, so I was thinking, maybe I move my peacocks and haps to the 55 and use the 110 for the Front tank? I can't make up my mind. I have a couple of options, help me decide what I should do and what would be best for the fish.

Option 1:
Put Fronts in 55 and swap with 110 inhabitants later when necessary.

Option 2:
Move Peacocks/Haps to 55 gallon and put Fronts in 110 gallon now.

Option 3:
Put a single Front in the 110 and use the 55 for something else.

Option 4:
Don't get a front at all. :(

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
RRasco said:
I have a couple of options, help me decide what I should do and what would be best for the fish.

Option 1:
Put Fronts in 55 and swap with 110 inhabitants later when necessary.

Option 2:
Move Peacocks/Haps to 55 gallon and put Fronts in 110 gallon now.

Option 3:
Put a single Front in the 110 and use the 55 for something else.

Option 4:
Don't get a front at all. :(
If it was me, I would rule out options 1 and 3. 1 might be an option if you're getting the fronts at 1.5" but they'll grow pretty fast so you'd just be briefly delaying the inevitable. I have heard of fronts sharing a tank successfully with cyrtocara moorii (blue dolphins) but not other haps (or peacocks). The viability of 2 depends on what peacocks/haps you have. Some of them might be inappropriate for a 55.

Option 4 might be best...or Option 5: Get another 6 foot tank :)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I had seen that tank two weeks ago, I would have bought it. Although, I don't have anywhere to put a 6 foot tank right now. Although, I am destined to have a huge tank. I really want something bigger, like 180, or 240.

I don't need you guys applying logic to the situation, I want a Front, and I want it now! :drooling:

How fast do they really grow? I really want to just get some juvies (adults are way out of my budget for a fish) and put them in the 55. Then if I have to, I'll put them in the 110, or ideally I will have a bigger tank in a year or so. I realize people say this all the time, but I would actually follow through, so if anything it will put a reason behind me getting a bigger tank. I'm trying to phase out having so many tanks and concentrate on having a lower number of tanks, but bigger. I could fit a 6ft tank in my room, but I don't think I could maneuver it down the hallway and into the room. :-?

And just for reference, my peacock/hap setup houses: Eureka Red, Lemon Jake, Red Empress, Venustus, Borleyi Mbenji, White Blaze, and a Deep Water. I know the Venustus gets huge, so that was my only real concern with them in the 55. I have several females of these and other species, but they are soon to be removed so I can turn it into an all male tank like I planned a year ago when I bought all these juvies. Species listed are males.

·
Registered
374 Posts
First things first, fronts are harem breeders. You could grow out a single front in the 55g, and then when it is big enough, add it to the hap tank, but there's no guarantee it would get along with the other fish. I've seen single fronts stay pretty dark and unattractive (and unhappy) in tanks like this. You could grow out a group in the 55g, at least 7-8, to get a 1 M:3 F ratio eventually. But a group like this will only last 5-6 months in a 55g. One person on here lost all but one of his fronts by keeping them in too small a tank for too long. Whatever you do, don't try just two of them. They won't get along, and one will be a goner. Fronts are really best appreciated in groups. I would wait until you either have a bigger tank (6ft), or you know you'll have one in the next 5 months or so.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Funny guys!

·
2,088 Posts
I don't mean any disrespect to the OP, but the comment about not wanting logic etc set me off.

Why do people bother to ask questions or for advice, then immediately shoot down or ignore the answers given by the people who are experienced front keepers? Seems that this happens weekly around here. Why spend time formulating a reasoned and proper response if the poster is simply going to say thanks, but I will do it anyway? (Guess there is a good reason I don't work in a fish store :D :D :D )

/Rant

Fronts are big fish, and require a good sized tank to successfully keep them long term.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nodima said:
I don't mean any disrespect to the OP, but the comment about not wanting logic etc set me off.
Well, considering I was completely joking....no need to get 'set off'. Everyone else seemed to pick up on it. This ain't my first tank and I don't do things irrationally with my fish. That's why I was here asking the front lovers questions to begin with. mmkay? :dancing:

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Well, let's assume that everybody, including nodima, picked up on RRasco's comment being posted as a bit of light hearted humor - hence nodima's three grins and the "end rant tag" :)

The "rant" was probably not so much directed at RRasco, but at other people who post similarly and are not joking. We have seen it all! There is definitely truth in nodima's posting:

"Fronts are big fish, and require a good sized tank to successfully keep them long term."

I'd add that "good sized" in my opinion means 6'.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nothing but love in here :fish:

That seems to be the consensus I have gathered reading too, from places other than CF as well. 6' tanks are the minimum recommended size for Fronts.

·
2,088 Posts
No worries on my end - and I chose words carefully as Big tank means different things to different people. Lost track of the Big, Large, and Huge tanks of <50 gallons folks post on Craigslist, for example. :lol: :lol: :lol:

To clarify - my rant was absolutely not aimed at anyone specific, including but not limited to the OP! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nodima said:
To clarify - my rant was absolutely not aimed at anyone specific, including but not limited to the OP! :thumb:
I completely understand that people typically don't know what they're doing or care to take advice given, even if they asked for it. I see it on forums all the time, and not just this one or fish forums. Everything!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts