Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in my 110g high im doing an all male singles overstocked malawi cichlid setup

my question is im running out of species and i was wondering if i could still go 4f to 1m with 4 different species and still have singles as well?? i have about 12 different malawi species. none over the top aggressive. the head honch is a powder blue.

also on the labs.. my plan is to get everyone that has the black fins.. but check this out. the second one i bought his blackness in his fins went away obviously because the other one was showing more dominancy. i took him out and put him in the quarantine tank and his colors came back?? so i guess the male thats more dominant hold the colors and you cant have an all tank with there black fins?? hes been back in the tank for about 2 weeks and gets along fine but no black fins..

thanks! hope to hear from yall soon

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Two males of the same species will generally only allow one to display color. The other may do it occasionally but most of the time in my tank when that happens the Dominant male makes short work of that by coming over and showing him who is boss.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
Are you talking about all mbuna? If there are any females in the tank, the females will be harassed because the single males will want their attention since they would have no females available from their own species. And you will have hybrid fry.

A successful combination of single males and a breeding group is hap/peacock males and a yellow lab breeding group.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
Multiple males of the same species in an all-male tank you have the problem that they will fight and/or not color up. Otherwise it would be fine.

That's what I have always wondered in all-male mbuna...how can you find enough fish that don't look alike?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah nobody told me i would run into that problem and now im like ****. lol so looks like some experimenting will be goin on. most likely ill have one male of every species than the rest male labs.

also i have a shelldweller in with my mbunas and seems to think hes one of em swimming around with em. (but doesnt like my pleco)
should i add more for him? and have a colony at the bottom, i know its better to do this with haps/peacocks but what are the odds for having this work in an overstocked mbuna tank. if not he seems fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts