Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very excited about this. I have a 5-foot 100g tank (footprint is 60x18), and I'd like to make it my show tank with CA/SA males only. I'd prefer everyone to be under 10" and want to keep it pretty peaceful.

I have my 4" male marble con in there now along with some giant danios.

AND I'm heading to ACA convention this weekend so I have the opportunity to get some really cool fish that I'd normally not have access to! :dancing:

I'd love to stock with the following fish:
- male Nic
- male Sajica
- male con (already owned)

Other than that, can you think of any males I could peacefully add?

Oh, and here's a pic of the tank. I've ordered some fake plants to make it a little more colorful and create more hiding spots.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Congrats on the new tank Natalie :dancing: I take it you have moved to your new house. Congrats on that too. LOL a peaceful cichlid. Well I have 3 Escondidos that I'm trying to get a pair out of them. I'll have one left over if it works out. They are an awesome looking fish. The males max out at about 9". You can have the one of them if you want. I wouldn't call them peaceful but they also aren't super aggressive either. They chaise a lot but no fin nips or body damage. 8) I see you still have my SRT :lol: Dough I wanted him so bad! Otherwise really nice tank and good luck with it :thumb:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nice tank Natalie!
you said it's 60x18,but what's the hight? also what manufactor makes it?
Anyways best of luck with it :wink:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've kept more than a few different CA/SAs in my time, but I can't say for certain if any proposed mix would be peaceful or stay peaceful just due to the nature of the beast(s). If you like Severums, they tend to stay peaceful in my experience. I have never kept one because they are nearly impossible to find in my area, but I understand Uaru are peaceful SAs that look very striking after reaching adulthood. I understand they will destroy any live plants you have (and possibly any plastic plants as well). In my experience keeping V. Argenta, they are so far very peaceful, but the males can get larger than your desired length. Wish I could help you more. I basically spent months and months weighing options, looking at various fish at the LFS and then reading about them, and doing overall research on fish that caught my eye. There are people on this site that are personified encyclopedias when it comes to fish, so I'm sure you'll eventually find what you're looking for if you take your time.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the help. :) jimmyknuckles, I have considered Severum but everything I've read says they prefer softer water and my local water is very hard. Are they very picky about this requirement?

And as for the peaceful aspect, haha yeah I know the definition of cichlid does not include the word peaceful. :lol: I'm hoping that by keeping the tank all-male and by understocking, I will have a better chance of keeping everything friendly.

mr. fuji, I have no idea who the manufacturer is. This setup was used for about 6 months by the first owner, then he had to move and I got a fantastic deal on basically a mint setup. I do know that this is the 100g tank and oak stand set that you can buy at Petland chain stores for $400.

And lastly, the size of the tank is 60x18x20, so it's 20 inches high. I've got this setup in my office, facing my desk so when I study I can gaze peacefully at my tank. And my new place is so small that this tank basically takes up the whole wall, so I finally have that room-length tank I've always wanted! :lol:

lil mama I will PM you about my SRT.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, BV. :)

Well unfortunately I had no luck at the ACA convention. I saw multispinosa and Nics that were beautiful but both were all sold already. There were gorgeous adult male cutteri and sajica in the show but unfortunately I was just there for one day so I'm not sure if they'll even be auctioned tomorrow.

Darn!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Im wanting some rainbows as well, but cant seem to find any in my area of town. All 3 of my LFS order from the same supplier so guess im gonna have to order online....anyhoo...

Nice looking set up! Can you post a pic of your super red texas?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Yes, I'd love to see up dated pics of your SRT. If it were me I'd put the SRT in the 100g. Your not going to find a more stunning fish to show case in this tank. He is just awesome! That's just my opinion....but you know how much I want this fish too. :lol: Hey! Then you can put my extra Carpintis in your 55g :D Talk about some eye popping fish! lol

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm actually switching my SRT from my 55g to 90g tonight. :) I keep switching back and forth on whether I want to keep him. I'm pretty sure that if I do, I'm going to get him a girlfriend because he just doesn't know what to do with his time. He'll definitely be happier in there than his 55g for sure.

I'll take new pics of him soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts