Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up sort of a show tank in my living room. It's a 6 foot long acrylic 125g (really 110 'cause acrylics are shorter). I am trying to hide all the equipment as best as possible with a fairly clean & simple aquascape. I have the heater in the back right, so doesn't this mean the thermometer should go in the front left? My previous experience with thermometers is the stick-it-to-the-outside glass type... but that was 25 years ago. I can't imagine that thermometer technology has changed that much for this hobby but I'd like to get some input from current hobbyists.

1st off, with how easily acrylic scratches, I'm hesitant to stick an outside glass thermo on in case it needs to come off later. Anyone with positive experience with these on acrylics? Secondly, if placing the thermo exactly opposite to the heater is best, aesthetically, the front left... even if it's on the side... isn't the best looking place because that side is the 1st side of the tank that people see when they walk in my front door. I could probably live with placing a glass thermo on the left side near the back but that's where my canister filter output is so I'm not sure that's the best place?? Not that placing it closer to the front would make much of a diff with the flow from the Fluv FX5 lurking less than 18 inches away. Of course if I put it near the rear, I should be able to place the thermo behind the jet flow.... does any of this matter???? :?

So I'm looking for ideas on a reliable enough thermo that is unobtrusive and acrylic friendly. Also looking for advice on where to put it.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I've never worried too much about placement. With good circulation, the temp will be consistent throughout. And with the filtration you have, your tank temp will be consistent. I'd suggest one of the ones with the suction cups and just put it somewhere where it's somewhat hidden. Consider that these thermometers aren't known for being real precise and the fish will do fine in a range of temps, so I wouldn't overthink it.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I like the $1.99 pet store glass tube with suction cup. You can put it out of sight and it has a green "safe zone" so you can check it at a glance

·
2,088 Posts
I have something like this on one of my tanks:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/209362/product.web

Essentially, there is a small wire with a probe that goes into the tank, and the display piece which shows the temp on an LCD screen. Downside is that it does take watch batteries, but I find it much easier to read than the stick on types.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great ideas... I like the digital concealable designs and even the removable stick on. Making a trip to local fish store tomorrow. We'll see what they have.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
As long as there is some water movement it does not matter where you put the thermometer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.