Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checked on my female dempsey with her fry last night.Just noticed half of her tail is missing.I didnt even notice they were fighting that much.Good thing I took the male out when I did,otherwise he may have even killed her.Dont get why this happened,they are a mated pair.This is their 4th spawn.The female seems to be a lot more calm with her fry ever since I took the male out.Anyone know why this happened?

·
Registered
406 Posts
He might have been ready to spawn again and got very aggressive with the female. She's obviously not ready because she's protecting the fry. Also the male may have went after the fry to get her to spawn again. She of course would have defended the fry and may have gotten hurt.

Anyway with JDs and cichlids in general, they don't mate for life. In the wild, they would pair, spawn and probably go their separate ways. Then when ready to spawn again, they would find the strongest fish available to pair with.

I had a male EBJD and Female JD pair that spawned multiple times and to get them to bond stronger I would occasionally put in other fish to have them defend their tank. One time I tried putting in another male JD that was slightly bigger than the EBJD. Within 20 minutes, the new JD and female JD paired and my EBJD was hiding in the corner. I guess the female saw a stronger fish and decided that would make the better mate.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you think I need to treat the tank with any medication or being as I do 2 weekly water changes a week her tail will heal itself? (I would rather not put anything in tank with the fry if it can be avoided)

·
Registered
406 Posts
If you keep the water clean then she should be fine. Any medications might be too harsh for the fry. You could try a little salt that should help and I think the fry could tolerate the salt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just JDs being JDs. I would also just keep the water clean. No meds. Good luck with your fry. At a certain point around 1/4 inch your going to have to seperate the ebjds/gold and the ebjds. I dislike this job the most. I have 4 spawns of the bggg x bggg's in tanks right now and a spawn of F1 regular JDs still with there wild caught parents. Lots of work to say the least. I take the pot right after the female gets done laying. The next batch I'm going to leave the parents raise. I have a few spawns of Pink Cons also. I really enjoy watching them raise there fry. Also if you have not started it yet. It might be time to start seasoning a sponge filter in their tank for the fry tank when you seperate. Anyway good luck ...dgarrett

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I intend on putting the fry in the 20 gallon thats holding the male at this time in about another 4 weeks.And put the male back with the female in her 46 gallon tank.Also am going to put a couple of other dempseys in their tank just to spread the aggresion around when I do this.I do have a 55 gallon tank I can set up if needed(but space is kind of limited).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts