Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
DirtyBlackSocks said:
In all honesty your tank is full up on cichlids, even in the 55 gallon.

You can alternatively add other non-cichlid species to make the tank look busier - such as tetra's, cory cats, pleco's, danio's, gourami's ect.
I agree. Full already.

·
Registered
799 Posts
My last four-line pictus hit 8 inches, but I don't think they get much bigger than that. In general, I think four-line pictus are more aggressive, and they prefer to be kept solo. The spotted pictus prefer to shoal and be kept in groups of 3 or more. The spotted pictus usually won't exceed 5-6 inches.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Most silver dollars only get about 5 inches, but they need space to swim in. A 4ft tank is the smallest I would recommend for them.

If your salvini turns out to be male, you'll be looking to get rid of fish in a hurry.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I wouldn't say they grow super fast, but I've never kept them in an environment where I could feed them specifically and really pamper them. They have always been a dither fish for me.

Male salvini's will definitley become aggressive. Convicts are tough too, but the eventual size despairity would favor the salvini. Unless of course you have a female (which it sounds as though you might 'black splotch in the dorsal') then it might not be as bad.

A 29g just isn't quite large enough for a salvini IMO. Its not the right shape, and there isn't enough room. A solo female would probably be ok for a while, but a male would need a 40g breeder minimum IMO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.