Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any other small cichlids that would be good tankmates for multis?
My tank is an 8 gallon biocube and I have have 2 multis right now. I really don't want to breed the multis. I can't tell mine apart. I was going to get 3 more of them, but then it occured to me to ask what other cichlids would work in this tank.

I have aragonite sand and shells.

·
Registered
73 Posts
8 gallon is gonna get crowded quick if you got lucky with a male & female... that said i dont think any other cichlids would work in a tank that small... you can always go with a few smaller tropical comunity fish to fill out the top half of the water

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read that they only get 2" and they are from the Lake Tanganyika. Do you know anything about these guys. At least the gold and the blue profile says only 2 inches. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
The bare minimum for most shell dwellers is 10 gallons so you are already pushing it. I believe people keep brevis in smaller tanks.

So to answer your question your tank is pretty much full. You could add some small dither fish like danios, but they may be harassed in such a small tank.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Oh, it's a cube? I wouldn't try it. Standard 10g would be better for a multi colony (which 2 will quickly become). 20g even better so you can keep (some of) the fry.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Whats the footprint of the cub ie the Length and width?

You have to factor in how territorial cichlids are, your multi's are not going to want fish anywhere near their shell pile.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dimensions of the swimming area are:
H - 11 inches
depth-9.5 inches
width - 12 inches

Remember I don't have a clue as to the sex of these. I could wait and see. About how long before I'd know if a have a pair or two of the same sex.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I would not add anymore cichlids to that setup, personally I would not have added multi's. You don't have much room for territory at all. You can't splurge on a 10 gallon? They have a much better footprint.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't have any where else to put a tank right now unless it's off in a room where I'd hardly see it. What fun is that?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts