Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally split up my peacocks into 3 tanks. I have my 4 lemon jakes in a 75g and was thinking I'd get them some other type to share the tank with. What can get along with Jakes? I hear they are 1 of the more aggressive peacocks out there, would the Ps Saulousi work since its a dwarf mbuna? I spent a lot of time/money/space to get 3 different tanks to split up my 3 different types of peacocks hah, so want something that is unlikely to crossbreed. What haps would go well? Thanks!

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
I'd get something mostly blue. My first choice would be a group of Copidichromis azureus, very nice dependable blue males, they should ignore each other for the most part. S. fryeri might get too dominant, certainly less likely to be intimidated, and more likely to crossbred, but should not be ruled out if you really want an Electric Blue, a good Fryeri male is a great show fish. Placidochromis electra and similar fish are quite different, and mild mannered.

A bunch of Saulosi would be work if you want to go that way.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
noki said:
I'd get something mostly blue. My first choice would be a group of Copidichromis azureus, very nice dependable blue males, they should ignore each other for the most part. S. fryeri might get too dominant, certainly less likely to be intimidated, and more likely to crossbred, but should not be ruled out if you really want an Electric Blue, a good Fryeri male is a great show fish. Placidochromis electra and similar fish are quite different, and mild mannered.

A bunch of Saulosi would be work if you want to go that way.
Awesome, I really like the Azureus, but was trying to stick to things that weren't blue since I heard if they are similar colors/shapes they might mistake each other.

I currently have my 4 saulousi with some hybrid peacocks and they seem to be getting along just fine. That tank might be a tad overstocked though with 8 hybrids, 4 saulousi and 3 synodontis catfish in a 40 gallon hah.

I thought of putting my otopharynx Lithobates in with the Jakes, but one of the reasons I moved them to the 125 was 1 of the males would consistently pick on the other male..........seems in the 125 they sort of keep to themselves.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Well, almost all males except some Aulunocara are mostly blue so you can't avoid, and you definitely would not want another Yellow Aulonocara. Lemon Jakes are somewhat of a light blue with yellow, so I would go darker blue without yellow as being dissimilar, such as Azureus or Fryeri. C. moorii would work but maybe not ideal in a 75g. Most "Haps" start getting too large for a 75g, so that limits choices.

Didn't mean to say that Saulosi would be bad, that didn't end up right. Saulosi would be okay.

Lithobates do tend to be dominated by others, not unusual.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
noki said:
Well, almost all males except some Aulunocara are mostly blue so you can't avoid, and you definitely would not want another Yellow Aulonocara. Lemon Jakes are somewhat of a light blue with yellow, so I would go darker blue without yellow as being dissimilar, such as Azureus or Fryeri. C. moorii would work but maybe not ideal in a 75g. Most "Haps" start getting too large for a 75g, so that limits choices.

Didn't mean to say that Saulosi would be bad, that didn't end up right. Saulosi would be okay.

Lithobates do tend to be dominated by others, not unusual.
Cool thanks!

Maybe I'll throw my Saullousi in there. I have 1 male and 3 female Saulousi. What would a good mix be if adding them to 4 female Lemon Jakes(probably getting a male as soon as I can find one I like).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So quick question on the Copidichromis azureus. The local fish store has 1 and he's a good looking guy if I do say so myself :) they don't have any females though. I would probably opt to buy the females online as even the guy said that would be a cheaper option. Anyways, would the 1 male Azureus be ok in a tank with 5 Lemon Jakes(1 male, 4 females) for awhile until I can get him some mates? Or should I wait and do it all at once?

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Wait. You don't want a lone male in a mixed gender tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts