Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my area I see there is a local ad with someone selling a used 125 tank that comes with 2 HOB's (think they are the Tetra's), a heater, gravel, and a mismatched top and light set. Says make offer and am debating whether to do make an off or not. How much you think would be a good price for this setup? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Really have no idea what used tanks are worth at all.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Used tanks should go for no more that $1 a gallon. Plus a little extra for a stand, QUALITY filters, lights etc. Since this has Tetra filters (which I have never used) but have read bad reviews on them and since the lighting/hood is mismatched, I would start low at like $100 and go from there. Personally I wouldn't spend more than $150 for it because, you're probably going to need to buy a new filter(s) and if you have some OCD like me you will end up buying matching hoods/glass and maybe new lighting if the one they have isn't that good. (Wow nice run on sentence there)

Also, fill it up with water at the persons house first. If they refuse, don't buy it. Tons of good deals on craigslist if you are patient.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
In my area...
smaller than 100g.
glass 50 cents a gallon.
plexi $1 a gallon.

over 100g.
glass about 75 cents a gallon.
plexi about $1.50

i can usually find 125 plexi's for $100 all the time.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I keep thinking on this 125g and am going to look at it tomorrow. My only other question is does anyone here have a tank of this size in a newer trailer house? Our place was made in 1994 I believe, and my original plans were to go to a 75 or possibly a 90g. By going up to this bigger tank do think that I will have to worry about support under the house for this much weight? I am gonna go check under the house again but if I remember right the floor joists run perpendicular to the length of the tank.

Just dont wanna find out the hard way it will not support it. Is there any tests or something you can do to see what is safe or not?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have a 125 and am planning on another. I got them in a modular home I just made sure to put it near a support wall. I made sure to look under the house,like you said to make sure that the tank spanned across the frame of the house for better stability.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jaffy said:
I have a 125 and am planning on another. I got them in a modular home I just made sure to put it near a support wall. I made sure to look under the house,like you said to make sure that the tank spanned across the frame of the house for better stability.
Thanks now I can sleep tonight!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts