Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 75 gallon tank that has 1/2 shells and 1/2 rockwork. I currently have 10 juvenile Sunspot Brevises in the shell 1/2 and am planning on adding a julidochromis species.
What are the best species to try to look for, are they're any to avoid? I might be able to get some marksmithi (fka regani kipili) but am not sure if they will be too big/aggressive.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I think any of the Julidochromis species would probably be fine ...

Having said that, all of them can be pretty aggressive ... by my observation, at least (or primarily) defensively.

I've previously kept adult J. transcriptus in a tank with full grown mbuna (P. acei, L. caeruleus ... two of the least aggressive mbuna I guess) and have seen the Julies go after and push fish 5x their size out of what they consider to be their territory. Currently have a pair of full grown J. regani (with fry) in that same tank (55G), with similar results ... although I have moved the P. acei to a different tank.

Have 5 N. multifasciatus adults (with fry) in a 20G Long with 6 J. dickfeldi juvies (1 1/2" to 2"+) ... same deal, more or less. The multis have staked out their territory in the middle of the tank and fearlessly defend it ... as long as the Julies stay at the ends of the tank in their rock work things are good ... and they generally do.

You could go with one of the dwarf Julie species if you are concerned with a better size match up with the Brevis ... but honestly I think any of them would be fine - assuming you create distinct territories for them to occupy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts