Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The seller said he would do $500 including help delivering if need be, which would help out since i have a small car. I will post the ad for your viewing. I have been trying to find a good 6ft tank for a couple months now. Have Venestus, Blue Dolphin, VC-10, Taiwan Reef growing out in my 90. Its not crowded, yet. I figure if i sell my 50G bowfront, and my 90 i can break even for this 125. What do you all think? I would rather have just one tank. Already have the approval from the girlfriend. Any help would be appreciated.

http://barrie.kijiji.ca/c-pets-other-12 ... 284970078#

Also he said he will throw in a 10 G hospital tank set up with everything, lights, filter etc

·
Registered
625 Posts
It looks like an okay deal, but don't plan on breaking even. It's just best to go into something like this without that mindset! :lol:

If your tanks aren't crowded then you can always wait him out for a cheaper deal. Fish supplies depreciate in value almost instantly, I wouldn't pay more than $400 for everything and I probably would have offered $300. Since he's dropped the price already you know there's not a line of people fighting over it, once it becomes an eyesore he'd probably take just about any offer to get it out of his house. The trick is pretending that you can walk away even when you want nothing more in life than that tank in it! :thumb:

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep i offered much less, he said he could only do the 500. Im in no rush, just was asking if these prices in general are reasonable considering the sump set ups i have no experience with. keep in mind this is CAN $. Even though the Canadian $ is higher, our prices are still much higher than US. Which is bullcrap :x

I see some really good deals here and there in Toronto which is about 100 kms away, just have no truck to move these tanks before they end up being sold :(

·
Registered
144 Posts
Look at Craigslist and find a local face to face seller. It's no worth the loss of 500-600$ and a POS tank that can't be fixed without spending more money. Even if it looks like it can hold water any one can fill a tank up for about an hour and add some fish to it before it falls apart. The best way to buy a tank that size is look at local sales so you can talk face to face with the person you are buying it from or go to a company that makes them.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Figure out what all of that would cost brand new.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
loganloganlo said:
Look at Craigslist and find a face to face seller. It's no worth the loss of 500-600$ and a POS tank that can't be fixed without spending more money. Even if it looks like it can hold water any one can fill a tank up for about an hour and add some fish to it before it falls apart. The best way to buy a tank that size is look at local sales so you can talk face to face with the person you are buying it from or go to a company that makes them.
I know the tank is in good condition, i was in contact with him prior to him selling the tank, he first sold all his fish which took a month or two. Its a newer tank, however i will still look over all the seams, equipment. The person lives probably only a few kms from me so looking at it is no problem. The shops around here sell 125 gallon set ups for around $1500 and getting one made would probably run me near $300-$400 wouldnt it? Im sure his stuff brand new would run well over a thousand, just wondering what others would pay. I thought a max offer of $400 was fair? I dont really know what you mean by a face to face seller, Kijiji is Canadas version of Craigslist. Craigslist isnt used as much anymore around here.

I find that late winter and early spring i found a lot of good deals people trying to clear out their house/garage.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I think $400 firm is a very fair offer on that tank.

He wants it gone so he can set up his new tank, you see it over and over if you watch ads like this. They start out high, then 3 weeks later come down a little, until finally it's 1/4 the original asking price and theyre throwing in the kitchen sink just to be rid of it. If you don't live in the city, the amount of people with the space and money for a tank that big are slim.

Did you buy any of his fish when he was selling them? If so, remind him of that, you're doing him a favor!

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I look at these things from a totally different angle. If I price it fair and you haggle with me, you don't want it very bad. Ask me the second time what my bottom dollar is and it is up by $20. If you want it you have to buy it. Any other thought is just not worth the effort. Fighting over 50-100 is not worth a week to me.

·
Registered
144 Posts
In these times fighting for 50-100$ is well worth the struggle. If people really want to sell somthing that bad they will take a loss on it and just sell it to you for a little bit lower than what they are asking. Just seem as if the price they give you is way to high then they start to question their price they gave you and ask what you would offer them after that you have them on the side trying to get you to buy it rather then them trying to sell it.

I know this might not make much sense on paper but, I can't tell you how many times I get good deals by doing this to people.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
That's why I don't spend the week haggling. If they want, it they buy it. If not the next guy will. I have met people who wanted to cheat me all my life. If they get you down 10 cents they want a quarter. There is no end of it if you give, so I don't. I can keep it or give it away but never to them. They are out. If they want to play the pawn shop game they can go to a pawn shop cause I'm not running one!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I love haggling people. It makes me feel good when I get a good deal with someone and on top of that if I can use what I am getting it's even better.

·
Registered
625 Posts
loganloganlo, I agree completely. Places like craigslist and kijiji are like a big online pawn shop. It's full of **** no one really needs, no matter how nice it is and it finds its way there when the owners finally realize they would much rather have the money they spent on it and not a penny less.

That's why you get people selling 55's for $500 because that's what they have invested in it. I don't think it's fair to continually haggle over a painfully long process but I will decide a lower price that I think is just as fair and stand by it and if the seller doesn't budge then I walk away and not pester them. You'd be surprised how many times 4-5 weeks later you get an email asking if you're still interested.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yep, and people that think they are going to get 500$ of what they invested into a fish tank that they have that's not brand new are crazy and that's what makes you have to haggle them untill you get the price you think is fair. It's kinda like a new car that has an instant decress in value as soon as you drive it off the lot.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I can tell you I purchased a brand new marinland 125 (same demension with just the tank,stand,glass tops and a 6' double bright for close to $900 in Feb. There were no overflows/sump so you could find that out and add it in.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I can tell you I purchased a brand new marinland 125 (same demension with just the tank,stand,glass tops and a 6' double bright for close to $900 in Feb. There were no overflows/sump so you could find that out and add it in.

·
Registered
220 Posts
PfunMo said:
I look at these things from a totally different angle. If I price it fair and you haggle with me, you don't want it very bad. Ask me the second time what my bottom dollar is and it is up by $20. If you want it you have to buy it. Any other thought is just not worth the effort. Fighting over 50-100 is not worth a week to me.
:thumb:

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay so the general consensus is that its a decent deal, i figured on my part that i would pay $400 as i feel if i go higher im going to kick myself when i see better deals down the road. Im not trying to haggle, just trying to make a fair deal. Thanks for the input, i called yesterday trying to see it but wasnt able to get through, i will try to see it today and will update you guys. I appreciate the input.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Usually if the seller doesn't want to haggle they will say the price is "$_.__ firm". In that case I don't haggle. If I don't think the firm price is right, then I won't even contact them.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
The thing around here is that things that are priced fairly sell fast. When I want to sell something, I don't want to stand around and look at it or have four people come by. I see all kinds of nonsense ads where people want to price things way high and threaten to take it to the LFS if someone doesn't buy it. I normally know what I will pay before I contact the seller figuring in some leeway for condition. No use contacting someone about buying at a price I won't pay. The world has enough lost time without me creating more.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I find out what exactly is included in the sale, then take 1$ per gallon for the tank and 1/2 of the equipment/stand value if I bought it new, add it up and offer it. I even explain to them how I came to the figure. If they won't take it, I bail. Have to tell you, I've bought many used set ups over the past 2 decades, and have only had to bail once.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts