Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Totally went the wrong way with cichlids?

I want something that will not crossbreed, only blue green and yellow colors and will get along with my already kept fish.

I have a Pseudotropheus socolofi male and I am keeping him.

I want only 3 colors in my tank, blue yellow and green or some other color to go nice with those two, yellow because I MUST have some Yellow Labs unless they willl crossbreed or reak havic on my blue socolofi?

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
448 Posts
The YL should be fine with the Socolofi, in fact I'd be more worried about the Socolofi wrecking havoc on the YL then the other way around...lol......What are the dimensions of the tank? A few tank mate suggestions to go with the Socolofi and YL are Rusties (purple/rustic color) or maybe even a barred species (Hongi SRT/Zebra Long pelvic). The good thing about both the Socolofi/YL's is that they can get a long with most other mbunas. You could even go with a albino socolofi for a nice white color.

It's going to be very hard to find a green mbuna I'd recommend the Zebra long pelvic which has a hint of green in it (at least mine does).....but honestly there really is no green mbuna out there that I know of......

http://bluegrassaquatics.com/pseudotrop ... elvic.html

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Ps. Williamsi 'North' is what I would describe as an olive-green. There aren't really any bright green mbuna though.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
So it sounds like you definitely want Pseudotropheus Socolofi and Yellow labs?
How many more species are you looking for? What is the tank size?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Tip... when someone is asking about their tank, and they've got the Tanks button on the bottom of their post, check it out.

This guys tank is a 55 gallon. :thumb:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for editing for me, and this guy is a gal :wink: I have a socolofi male now and reallly love him so he must stay. I have 3 other cichlids but not sure to keep them, an ice blue zebra (MALE), albino red zebra unsexed (maybe I should keep the zebra's) and a Melanochromis Chipokae (MALE). I fell in love with the YL so must have some of those. My tank is 55 gallon.

Guess I could do the socolofi, zebra's and YL? Maybe some of those Pelvic Zebra's?

·
Registered
485 Posts
The mel.chipokae will get too big(especially male) & aggressive for a 55g. You might trade the chipokae & the zebras in & get more soccolofi if you do them & yellow labs. Ps. Soccolofi are pretty aggressive, but i think each would be more concerned with their own species if you do groups & have females; especially for the soccolofi. As for green(ish) mbuna, I agree with Kanorin & would say Ps. Williamsi .

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks......kyboy....by the way where in ky are you? I cannot find ANYONE in ky that is a fish freak like me lol.....so getting my hands on GOOD fish is really hard and I can't find any williamsi north? I plan on 1:5 ratio with all my breeds but don't want crossbreeding. So I will be getting 5 female socofoli. And 1 Male YL and 5 Female YL. Thats only 12 fish however. The Melanochromis Chipokae will definatly have to go but re-homing him is a little difficult....Can't find anyone who wants that type of fish? Didn't know what I got when I got him.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does anyone know what a Fossorochromis rostratus is? I just saw a pic and they are really green.....:) I can't find them in profiles either? They would look really good in my tank

·
Registered
80 Posts
to be a slight voice of dissent, I love my yellow labs, but you will have a decent amount of yellow already. And they'll clash slightly. It doubt it would bother me, but some folks wouldn't like the slightly orange-tinged yellow of the socolofi females with the bright yellow of the yellow labs. But if you love yellow labs, then it's a done deal.

I personally got my blue from M. callainos (cobalt zebra), but with your socolofi, you may have enough blue in the tank. And if you get your pelvic zebras, keeping another Metriclima would be asking for crossbreeding.

Anyway, good luck in whatever you decide :)

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
tigger101023
Socolofi males and females are all powder blue with dark blue bar on the dorsal fin. You must be thinking of saulosi :thumb:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Rhinox said:
tigger101023
Socolofi males and females are all powder blue with dark blue bar on the dorsal fin. You must be thinking of saulosi :thumb:
Shoot, that's the second time I've done that in less than a month :oops: I really just need to check the profiles, since I have it stuck in my head wrong!! Argh...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pseudotropheus socolofi females have yellow in them? I didn't know that? THought they both (males and females) looked the same except for egg spots on the males?????

OHHHH...you scared me there for a second! I just seen those 2 posts about the colors

1 - 20 of 21 Posts