Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought some cheap goldfish to cycle my tank? DO you think feeder goldfish could carry disease that would hurt my new Tanganyikans i wiill be getting. Any thoughts. I will get rid of gold fish when my order arrives and tank is cycled? TY

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I would just go with the fishless cycle. This way your not exposing any fish to the harm of the toxins in the water while doing the cycle and then you dont have to worry about what to do with the fish afterwards.

Besides of a bottle of ammonia is gonna guarantee your not infecting your tank with anything.

G

·
dude just buy a sponge filter and throw it in an already cycled tank let it seed till they come and itll cycle immediatly when you put the spongue and fish in.. that fishless cycle seems like a huge pain and takes just as long as cycling the tank by adding 2 fish every 4 or so days... big waste of time if you ask me.. *** yet to have a problem cycling tanks by seeding cultures in sponges in already established tanks

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Gotta differ with you Mike. :)

dude just buy a sponge filter and throw it in an already cycled tank let it seed till they come and itll cycle immediatly when you put the spongue and fish in..
That'd take weeks and no guarantee that the sponge would harbor enough bacteria to handle the fish load after spending all those week seeding.

that fishless cycle seems like a huge pain and takes just as long as cycling the tank by adding 2 fish every 4 or so days... big waste of time if you ask me..
It does take just as long. The benefits are many, but shortening cycle time isn't one of them. Seeding is the way to shorten cycle time and when you mix it with fishless cycling, you get the best of both worlds. 7-10 days to fully cycle with no spikes or exposure to toxins even when adding a full load of fish right away.

And fishless cycling is very easy to do. You see the posts here of a few that have some problems, but dont' see all the instances of it being done without problems. We're working on a new fishless cycling article for the forum, btw, that hopefully will help.

I've yet to have a problem cycling tanks by seeding cultures in sponges in already established tanks
I've done this myself, but always tested it out by adding ammonia. If seeding was effective, it adds a day or two. If it wasn't, then be glad there's not fish in the tank. It's an extra level of caution that I'd recommend when I'm dealing with someone else's fish. There are just too many variables that can affect the effectiveness of seeding sponge filters.

G

·
well i usually add the sponge that was originally in the tank and leave the new one in the already cycled tank.. the bacteria in the filters of the already cycled tanks ensure they wont have a spike.. the sponges are just a good buffer

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
the bacteria in the filters of the already cycled tanks ensure they wont have a spike.. the sponges are just a good buffer
Maybe yes, maybe no. My point is that you can't always guarantee that will work. If a sponge is gunked up with little or no flow, it may not. Even if clean, no guarantee. I have tested this by moving seasoned sponges and adding some ammonia. Often some days were needed to process that ammonia. It's up to each how cautious we want to be with this.

G

·
gotcha... what i usualy do is add nutrafin cycle for a few days when i first setup a tank.. but *** done it a few times where i moved all my fish from a 125 to another 125 with new media in the canister filters and jus moved the 2 big sponges that were in the tank and no fish have died... i always squeeze my sponges out a bit every week during the water change so they arent too gunked up.. but i feel what you are saying something i wanna do that isnt proven 100% effective shouldnt be suggested to others jus in case it does backfire ok.. well all i can say is i have done it and i find it works well... but like prov said if you wanna do that and the fishless cycle or jus test the water or add the bacteria cycle that would increase your chances of it working well

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
*** got no amonia i got goldfish will it work?
I went to local petstore and had them give me some syponed dirty water from bottom of tank.3 Gallons of it for my 20 long.

Last nite i set up my 80 gallon and plan on gettin dirty water. IM useing 2 big spongfilters with powerheads. How many gallons of dirty water will i need to make this a faster process and should i get goldfish for this or amonia?? wherever you get this??

ty

·
Registered
142 Posts
"Dirty water" will not seed your tank. The bacterial colonies don't reside there, they reside on the media, substrate, and decoration/rocks in the tank. If you could get any of that from your LFS, it might help, but the water won't. That is my understanding.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you mean the thick gunky muddy water under the gravel doesnt have this??? Its only attached to the rocks and or gravel???

OK where do i get this amonia and how do i use it???? :?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Bodenhimer said:
you mean the thick gunky muddy water under the gravel doesnt have this??? Its only attached to the rocks and or gravel???

OK where do i get this amonia and how do i use it???? :?
The nitrifying bacteria attaches itself to surfaces, yes, very little in gunky water.

See the article in the forum library on Fishless Cycling.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts