Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have had alot of problems with my tank lately (my fault i know better then to mix so many cichlids)but just now looking in my 80g tank 4in redhead,two 4in flowerhorns,4in blackbelt,convicts pair,catfish,pleco,green terror,two bichirs,two firemouths.two frontosa, and gold severum. the last five are on the way out but the gold severum one of my favorites is suddenly missing chunks of fins just lost a african cichlid but thought gold severum was the least of my worries.is the blackbelt that aggresive of a cichlid? *** heard him mentioned in the same breath as red terrors and red devils.Is ther a way to keep the severum would a oscar or green severum help?Does the blackbelt need a species only tank?

·
Registered
243 Posts
not sure about a blackbelts aggression levels but that tank seems massively over stocked to me. Id say the fronts could be in there on there own. And so could an Oscar. Sorry to hear your sev is gettin beat on but it just seems there are so many fish cramped together it could be anyone.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you kind of new to the severums looking to try and keep him maybe turn in the blackbelt and hope for the best.They all are young I know as time goes on they will need more territory to call thier own but mixing while their young to find a mix that might work later.Trying to have some contrasting color in the tank

·
Registered
243 Posts
the green terror is probably the guilty party but avoid the Oscar as that will get to about ten inches in less than a year. Hope i have helped. One of the mods will help more hopefully.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you know i wasnt thinking about him(he is probably the smallest fish in the tank)but he has a huge attitude he actually chases the firemouth easly double his size tries to go toe to toe with the blackbelt and flowerhorns, and i got him when he was so small i thought i was chancing it by putting him in there now he is not afraid to go right in the feeding frenzy with thoflowerhorns,blackbelt,and redhead the dominant guys try as they might but he dont back down.Do i have a trouble maker on my hands or is that a normal green terror?He is very colorful and glows under the tank light i use at night.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Ok. Overstocked would be an understatement. Avoid mixing species from different continents. There are exceptions, but if you are new to cichlids it is best avoided. Frontosa should be kept in a group in a 6 foot+ tank, so return them. You could keep 1 flowrehorn or 1 blackbelt alone in that tank, with maybe a pleco/catfish. I'm not sure what you mean by redhead, geophagus sp. ? The firemouths and convicts would work well together. Or keep either the severum or green terror and build a hardy community around them. If the severum is your favorite, you can buid a great tank around it. Anyway you swing it, 80%-90% of you stock has to go.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only way to truly know want type of fish you truly want to build your tank around is to get to know them raise them from fry to see coloration and personality.In the end it is harder to let them go but you truly know what fish you want(at least in that tank doesnt meen i cant change it later or even bring in a new tank to set up for the ones i just cant let go)The redhead cichlid is not a geo its gets to about 12in and in my understandings i think its from Belize and the surrounding areas.Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im sorry but I dont know much about blackbelt cichlids and the info i keep getting is different to say the least.Can theybe kept with more than one breeding pair in the same tank?I heard they dont go after or hurt the female in the spawning and the raising of the brood.Can you give me a little info about them?Thanks info got from this site will be used in deciding the fate of my blackbelt(will he stay or will he go)and severum(for his saftey)

·
Registered
697 Posts
cicklid said:
The only way to truly know want type of fish you truly want to build your tank around is to get to know them raise them from fry to see coloration and personality.In the end it is harder to let them go but you truly know what fish you want(at least in that tank doesnt meen i cant change it later or even bring in a new tank to set up for the ones i just cant let go)The redhead cichlid is not a geo its gets to about 12in and in my understandings i think its from Belize and the surrounding areas.Thanks for the advice
You can research, watch video and visit your fish store to find out what fish you want to keep. Nothing is set in stone. A good majority of fishkeepers trade their stock and change their tanks often. You won't get any idea of the species behavior or color in an overstocked tank. You will get over aggression or submission, flushed colors, stunted growth, ammonia spikes, high nitrate, stressed and finally dead fish. Keep in mind, large fish are very difficult to rehome. BTW, the only cichlids in your tank from south america are the severum and green terror.

Blackbelts are aggressive, as are a all vieja sp. You could maybe do a pair in an 80 gallon, but you should refer to the central american forum for specifics. The black belt and the flowerhorns will likely cause you the most problems ands if you continue to keep all of these fish in your tank will likely thin your stock for you.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks Info helps I didnt know the blackbelt was central american was told it was south american
i researched but never paid attetion to origins.I did all you said and more and I know each fish differs in personality 10 green terrors and not one will be exactly the same.I am always looking for more info watching video and asking qeustions.I joined the forum to further my thirst for knowledge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts