Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed quite a bit, but I have a question regarding this. It seems most feel that around 84 degree is an appropriate temperature for german rams. I assume this would be the same for the golds.

Anyways, I happened to be on an lfs that had just got a tank full of them. I asked what temps they are going to be kept in. The guy told me around 78 degrees. I was surprised to hear this. Fast forward 3 weeks, and they are still alive and well and available. Some may have died for all I know. But would it be safe to assume that these guys are aqua cultered enough would be ok in around 80 degrees which is what I keep the potential tank at?

Also, how would they fair stocking wise? There are a pair of angels, some cardinals, an l200 pleco and a male and female(not yet paired) apisto double red. Although the rams are not apisto's would it be be a bad idea to add them giving me two potential pairs of dwarf cichlids? The tank is 38 gallons 3'x12"x20". Would this be too much for the footprint? Thanks.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I tried to keep a pair of german blue rams and double reds together and the rams wouldn't stop harassing the double reds. This was in a 29 with a 30" length. The rams were established first so they may also be a factor. But I did have to separate them.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Rams can be kept at cooler temps, but you are gonna see a decrease of behavior, less color, and you will be compromising their immune system and long term health.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.