Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys... well theres a lot of things i shoulda did to my tank b4 i set it up that i had brain farts on..

i want to paint the back of the tank black but its like 800+lbs with water lol..its a 110 gal tall tank.. 4ftL x 18W x 24 T... you think it will be ok to take about 40% of the water out to make it a little bit lighter so i can move it away from the wall a lil bit to clean and paint that back..?
im gonna roll the paint on..and i got a good mini roller with a extended handle soo i really only need to move one side of the tank away from the wall..

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
mattduarte said:
hey guys... well theres a lot of things i shoulda did to my tank b4 i set it up that i had brain farts on..

i want to paint the back of the tank black but its like 800+lbs with water lol..its a 110 gal tall tank.. 4ftL x 18W x 24 T... you think it will be ok to take about 40% of the water out to make it a little bit lighter so i can move it away from the wall a lil bit to clean and paint that back..?
im gonna roll the paint on..and i got a good mini roller with a extended handle soo i really only need to move one side of the tank away from the wall..
48x18x24 is a 90 gallon tank.
40% of 90 gallons is 36 gallons, or around 300 pounds. I would put the fish in a bucket of tank water and drain it completely. No sense in risking the stand or tank twisting by moving only one end.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
GTZ said:
48x18x24 is a 90 gallon tank.
40% of 90 gallons is 36 gallons, or around 300 pounds. I would put the fish in a bucket of tank water and drain it completely. No sense in risking the stand or tank twisting by moving only one end.
+1 I had to move my tank out to work on a window once so I just cleaned out a bigger rubbermaid tote and put them in there with a heater and an air stone for a few hours. Worked fine for me. Hate to break a tank over something stupid!

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Why not just attach a black garbage bag to it and save the hassle and risk. You will then still have a tank with two fronts.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmm ya proly a good idea to get most of the water out..didnt think of the stand twisting or something... i just looked at the sticker on the tank its 4ft x 18 1/2 x 31 1/2 i need some sticker removal stuff..thats the only sticker i wasnt able to get off lol.. i wanna put in a 3d background but i dont have a extra tank to hold all the fish for the amount of down time it needs.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
We all have those days when we mess with the plan! When I failed to paint first, I went with really cheap black fabric and a few spot of silicone to hold it. Works good as well as keeps some of the heat form a window off the back of the tank. Lots easier than fighting to move the tank and maybe someday I will move and paint it. For now it works.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
mattduarte said:
hmmm ya proly a good idea to get most of the water out..didnt think of the stand twisting or something... i just looked at the sticker on the tank its 4ft x 18 1/2 x 31 1/2 i need some sticker removal stuff..thats the only sticker i wasnt able to get off lol.. i wanna put in a 3d background but i dont have a extra tank to hold all the fish for the amount of down time it needs.
We are both in the same boat here. I am thinking of makin one this summer and doing the drylok idea and then soaking in a tote for a few days. But want to make it removable so am thinking of ways to add weight to it so it will not be so buoyant.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya i was thinking the same thing like buliding it with a foam bottom and puttin the gravel to hold it down but idk lol it almost seems worth it to go buy another tank to hold the fish in while the background glues to the tank...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts