Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on my way to Central America tonight...I am planning to visit ometepe island in Lake Nicaragua, which is home to some great species....the Rainbow Cichlid, Nicaraguan Cichlid, poor mans Tropheus, and convicts (and more and sorry for not really knowing the sc. names)...I was just wondering, does anyone know if they have a facility where they catch wild fish for the hobby? It would be really cool to visit it and check it out, and who knows, maybe I can ship myself a box of wild caught CA cichlids!

Let me know if you have any info and also what species found in and around the lake would you ship if you had only a 60 gallon available at the moment...

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi eoconnor,

Have a great trip. Unfortunately, I do not know if there are guides/companies/organizations that will ship collected fish for you.

If you could find rainbow cichlids, that would be my first choice. Unless you wanted a single fish, then I would try for a red devil (Amphilophus labiatus) which I believe were originally endemic to Nicaragua ( I may be wrong, they may have been from Costa Rica as well; just going off random memory of readings).

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
mlancaster said:
red devil (Amphilophus labiatus) which I believe were originally endemic to Nicaragua ( I may be wrong, they may have been from Costa Rica as well; just going off random memory of readings).
The red devil, Amphilophus labiatus, is endemic to lake Nicaragua. It is not found any where else. Other 'midas ciclid ' types are found in other Nicaraguan lakes. The midas cichlid is also found in lake Nicaragua but is not endemic to the lake.

·
Registered
225 Posts
This is really cool. I hope u find out where u can get those fish and at least maybe see their habitat first hand! If no one here knows, keep searching online or ask the locals...

·
Registered
225 Posts
This is really cool. I hope u find out where u can get those fish and at least maybe see their habitat first hand! If no one here knows, keep searching online or ask the locals...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts