Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am brand new at this. I am going to look at a 125 gallon tank and stand tomorrow afternoon (found on craigslist). I have never had an aquarium in my life, so I am kinda jumping into this. I'm a quick learn though (at least of the basics!) so I can't wait to get started. I've been pouring over this forum and other sites for the last couple weeks...so I have learned some already!
I am definitely planning on making this a cichlid tank, most likely African, Lake Malawi cichlids...mbuna's and peacocks. Although I am still somewhat undecided on that.

What I need to know first though, is what do I need to look at with this tank I am going to see tomorrow? How do I know if it is a *good* tank?

Thanks for any and all help! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Make sure there are no cracks on the upper and lower frames and crossbraces. Look at the silicone all the way around the tank from inside and out and check for repairs or incosistencies along the bead of the silicone. When moving the tanks make sure its empty no rocks or ornaments that may cause the silicone to stress. Good luck

·
Registered
59 Posts
I’m inexperienced too, although for sure I’d check for scratches in the glass, and bring a tape measure and make sure it’s really a 125 gallon.

·
Registered
803 Posts
look at the quality of the glass, if it looks cloudy it could be a real pain to get clear. As for the stand make sure doors open smoothly, you can access anything underneath with ease, and make sure there arent any nails or screws

If the tank and stand were stored on their sides they may not be level 100%

·
Registered
117 Posts
Make sure the stand is well built and in good condition. 6 foot tanks like this one are very big and will weigh a lot when filled, so the tank should be sturdy and should support the entire bottom frame. That is, the perimeter of the bottom. Some people put tanks on dressers that are too short and leave the aquarium hanging off the edges, but still call it a stand. That is a no-no.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I bought the tank and stand. It is very nice. It is currently set up in my living room with substrate, rocks, and water!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts