Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. So I have a standard 75 gallon I'm setting up to do a Mbuna tank. I have an FX5 I'm going to use for filtration. There is a local swap coming up on Sunday: http://www.gcca.net/swap/ and I hope to pick up some groups of juvi Mbuna to grow out in a few 20 gallon grow out tanks I have. I think I want some Yellow labs and Aceis but I'm not sure what else to get.

I'm a skilled and successful fishkeeper but I want to keep it low maintenance with the easier to keep Mbunas. I have a group of 8 synodontis lucipinnis that I'm growing out right now for the tank. Side question- what is the best food to grow these guys out with? The breeder said flake is what he uses but I thought I'd try other things as well.

Here are some fish that will be available at the swap:
Labeotropheus Fuelleborni
Cynotilapia afra(cobue)
yellow labs
Pseudotropheus saulosi
Pseudotropheus polit
Trewasae
Labidochromis sp. â€Å"Hongiâ€Â

·
Registered
466 Posts
Try for 4 species in a standard 75 gallon, with 1 male and 4 females. I only have experience with labs and acei, great fish so I can't say anything about the others...except I've always wanted polit

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, that's the plan. I figure I'll get 10 juvis of each variety and then weed out the extra males as they grow. Yes, big fan of the Aceis and Labs here as well. Very pretty and user friendly. Right now I just need to figure out 2 more interesting species to put in the mix.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
How about Labs, Acei, L. Fuelleborni, and Ps. Polit?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help guys.

I actually ended up empty-handed as far as Mbunas go. I did pick up a group of Apistogramma cacatuoides "Double Red" and two funky colored plecos for my planted 55 gallon tank so it wasn't a complete failure.

I nearly pulled the trigger on a group of 6 Saulosi's. The seller also had bags of 6 White Top Haras. However, they were a little too close to being adults than I wanted. And not particularly cheap. I couldn't find any juvi Acei's and the only juvi Labs were $3 or $4 each. Maybe I wasn't there early enough? Either way, I'll just keep growing out my Synodontis and won't rush into my Mbuna tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts