Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am planning a new Tang tank. I was all set to do Calvus, L. Oscies, and P. nigripinnis. But, then I saw some Eretmodus sp. 'Cyanostictus North' Kigoma and read up on Gobies and their mating habits...

I was wondering if I could do all 4 species and if so, how big a tank would I need? Also any more information on Gobies would be helpful as I have no personal experience with them.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Gobies would be fine with the other fish as long as you watch their dietary requirements. I use NLS for all my tanks including with all the species you listed and everyone is doing well.

I would suggest a minimum 36" long tank for the paracyps, and from there you're pretty much set with the rest. I think a 40 gallon tank would nicely fit the shellies, the calvus and the less territorial gobies.

While gobies make good neighbors, they're pretty tough on each other. Females need to be able to escape the male's attention. I find a maze of rocks works quite well. The calvus would like that set up as well, and would appreciate additional caves to breed in.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Since this is here, would the gobies go well with mbuna? I have a 140G I'll be setting up (72x18x24) which will have about 250 lbs of Holey (Lace) Rock. I plan on stocking it with Demasoni, Yellow Labs, Red Zebras, Acei (Msuli) and some P. Socolofi or M. cyaneorhabdos (sorry about all the Malawians). I was thinking about trying to get a couple of Eretmodus cyanostictus (Kasanga). I just think they're awesome looking fish and from my reading, I think they could do well in my planned tank.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Gobies aren't aggressive towards other fish, just among themselves. My own gobies get pushed around by shellies, comps and even Synodontis multies, so I doubt they'd fare that well with mbuna eventhough they have similar dietary requirements. I've had Tropheus work with mbuna before, maybe try them?

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
I am having probs believing not many have tried this. For me Pseudotropheus saulosi attacked Eretmodus cyanostictus but some other Mbuna did not, I guess the devil is in the detail.

Sorry I seem to be answering the hi jack post rather than the original? :oops: :)

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I currently have a breeding group of P. saulosi with two old widower E. cyanostictus. The mbuna chase the gobies, but the gobies also chase the mbuna. So far so good. If breeding your gobies was the goal, I wouldn't keep them together.

I don't have much experience with other Malawi fish (I only have the P. saulosi for breeding my S. multipunctatus :lol: ) but I think the gobies could hold their own pretty well with most smaller agressive fish.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Well, I'm not too concerned about breeding them...I just think they're nice little guys. I may give them a try. I'll have to get looking to see where I could order some from...unless someone on here has them for sale?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I want to set up a tank with a breeding pair, do I need to start with a male and female or multiple fish (I was thinking 6) and let two pair up and then remove the other?

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Definately start with 6. Goby pair bonds are not the strongest, so I personally would never buy a "proven pair"

The goby pairing process can be pretty vicious, even between the two that form the eventual pair. When they start beating the **** out of eachother, be careful about pulling out "losers" too soon.

Despite this dour warning, they are cool fish, and I've had great luck pairing and breeding them :thumb:

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. I will get 6.

One other question: I am going to start with 6 Gobies, 6 Calvus, and 6 Occies. The plan is to pull out 4 Gobies and 4 Calvus once they pair up and pull out extra male Occies (hopefully have 1 male and 3 females.) So what do I do with the extra fish? I am going to mail order them, so can't return them for a refund. I can bring them to a LFS, but then I loose the money I spent on them. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
40,529 Posts
If you don't spend more th $10 each on them, then you can return them to the LFS for that price.

You are probably getting themas juvies (LFS will take them for $5) and by the time they are old enough to pair they will be adults (LFS will take them for $10). So you should break even except for the shipping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.