Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have the following 1-yr old juvies (1-1.5" starting) and some species have definitely matured and all have gotten bigger.
- 7 red fin borleyi
- 7 a. latisfasciata
- 7 yellow labs
- 7 acei yellow tail
- 7 A. stuartgranti maleri island
- 7 P. electra
- 4 syno lucipinnis

The acei and labs have definitely spawned a few times. Maybe the electra as well. I need to get to 1m:4f as the final community stock for all the above and my questions were:

- what is the trigger to start evaluating the final group?
- If i use 55g tanks, can i rehome some or all of the orginal species to that tank size/volume? Borleyi might be an issue but wanted to check.
- Do I need to catch and vent to make sure - labs/zebra/electra?
- the maleri peacocks are the most underdeveloped - is it better to wait for them to spawn or get bigger and also color up?

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I would only remove fish if they cause problems or if someone is not coloring up. I would not put borleyi in a 55G.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, DJR. How would you rate the stock level right now? And what are the signs to look for? Maleri have not grown fast or colored up but i had asked that questions previously and patience was suggested. they eat well and are part of the fish group - no specific aggression against them.

Its been about 10 months and overall I have 40-50% WC every week to bring nitrates below 5ppm (usual 7 day reading is 20<tank<40).

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I don't see any problems...your fish should be 3" or so by now? 5ppm is good, 20ppm is OK and 40ppm is not desirable.

Look for injuries or any fish lurking under the surface or behind equipment or getting skinny or not colored up when they are old enough to be colored.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts