Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm preparing my 125g tank for 2 Oscars and 4 green terrors. I've read that in order to prevent rocks from being knocked over, you should consider gluing the rocks together... I like to create new environments (caves etc) every now and then, but I also want my fish to be safe. I'm using PFS as substrate... if I place the rocks soundly on each other are they fine? Any input/ advice would be appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
I would NOT glue the rocks. Better to create a stable stack.

First the glue will not hold securely 100% of the time. Second, now you can't just remove one rock, you have to remove a cluster which is going to be full of debris and make a mess as you ease it out of the water.

Put the rocks on the glass, THEN add the substrate so the fish cannot dig underneath.

Your fish may fight every time you change the rocks...IDK how territorial oscars and terrors are. Plan on keeping the aquascape the same for long periods of time, Some change the rocks only when you have to remove them all to net fish...which could be several years if your fish are healthy.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. I was wondering if I should leave the areas the same so they could really develop territories, but I wasn't sure.

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
That is a great response by 'DJRansome'. And, to add... I would definitely recommend getting LARGE rock pieces for the tank. The primary reason is that they will stack easier and more securely in the tank. Anyone who has had the side of an aquarium busted out by the dreaded,
ROCKFALL!!!
will immediately understand the importance of stability in your stacked rocks. For another, secondary reason - I believe that the larger rock pieces just look better than a bunch of smaller ones piled up together.
-
Now on to additional programming, for New World aquarium structure and planning. :)
BOG WOOD!
Maintaining higher PH and hard water chemistry in the aquarium will not be an important consideration for keeping your Oscars & Green Terrors. That is why pieces of submerged Bog Wood are typically placed in the New World aquarium. They look great! And, are a natural part of the riverine biotope many New World cichlids originate from. And, the same look and aesthetics will apply, as for the rock stack. Larger pieces placed in the tank just look much nicer than a pile of little ones. One thing you can definitely do to enhance the look and increase the size of Bog Wood structures in your tank, is to attach smaller pieces together. Stainless fasteners are used for this job, to include long wood screws or even nuts & bolts! Just be a little 'artsy' and build the structure to look as natural as possible, while hiding the stainless fasteners as much as you can (unfortunately in fresh water, stainless steel will NOT darken or subdue much in appearance over time...). One thing that can work great to hide stainless fasteners, etc... is to fasten plastic plants in strategic spots to the Bog Wood, (skinny black plastic zip-ties work great, though black polyester thread or twine would work great as well). The cichlids won't bother much with plastic plants fastened down like that, and they will immediately make your tank look better! :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
Sometimes the fish are already fighting and you might rearrange territories in hopes that the new pecking order that gets established will be more peaceful.

Sometimes the fish are peaceful and you rearrange territories and that STARTS the fighting.

The rocks in Lake Malawi don't move much...you could emulate the same once you have a workable scape.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Perfect. That's exactly the info I was looking for. I'll post a picture of my tank setup for critique before moving my fish into it.

I just received my copy of The Cichlid Aquarium by Dr. Loiselle today, gonna get into it later.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The fish that will be going in aren't African. I'm going with artificial wood though, with similar looks to it. I don't want to have to worry about water color or additional chemical considerations. Just my personal opinion at this point as I'm still learning a ton of info.

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
Well now.... :popcorn:

Andy88 said:
I'm preparing my 125g tank for 2 Oscars and 4 green terrors.
And no, despite the seemingly overwhelming popularity of the African Rift lake aquarium type? Those New World Cichlid species he's setting this aquarium up for, are definitely NOT African Cichlids! :roll:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts