Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully not off topic but I'm just coming back to keeping fish myself and looking for US 125 gallon tank, 60*18*24 dimensions I believe. Just wanted some help on how much I should expect to be spending for glass or acrylic. I realize different brands are more or less $$$ so let's just say I don't have a large budget!

·
Registered
80 Posts
JAyliffe said:
Hopefully not off topic but I'm just coming back to keeping fish myself and looking for US 125 gallon tank, 60*18*24 dimensions I believe. Just wanted some help on how much I should expect to be spending for glass or acrylic. I realize different brands are more or less $$$ so let's just say I don't have a large budget!
Welcome back. Acrylic will be much more costly but in some applications well worth the price. In others, not so much.

If you take a look at the Glasscages web site you'll find many size and cost comparisons. I don't know if links to commercial web sites are allowed here so if you can't locate the site send me a PM and I'll provide it for you that way. I've always found the proprietors there very responsive to my enquiries.

Regards,
Stu

·
Registered
80 Posts
Forgot to mention, I see you are in Arkansas JAyliffe. Glasscages is in Tennessee not far from Nashville. Might make for a nice trip over to see their manufacturing plant if it can be arranged.

Regards,
Stu

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I need to update my profile, I've moved south so closer to Texas than Tennessee

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I decided to put off the expensive tank purchase, just don't have the extra $$$ to go all out right now. Plus I was in a certain store earlier this week and I just couldn't resist the half price 75 gallon glass, only 48x18x21 but it will work in the space for now and I'll use it in my future fish room (more on that another time) once I get ready to spend the $$$ on a 125 gallon or bigger custom made one. Waiting on all the equipment I bought online to arrive this weekend so I can get it set up and start cycling it next week. Plan is to stock it with Haps/Peacocks, hopefully a group of 10 or a dozen will fit in there.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Depends on which hap and/or peacock. If you are including females, limit to one aulonocara species.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The intent is male only, there's an LFS near me has a good selection of adult males

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I like 12 males that look nothing alike and mature <= six inches in a 48x18 tank.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
It is hard to manage aggression with only 6 Lake Malawi in a 75G. Males are less territorial in the absence of females...thus the reason for excluding them entirely when doing an all-male tank. Read the all-male article in the Cichlid-forum Library for pros, cons and hints.

·
Registered
179 Posts
+1 on DJRansome's post. I don't really keep peacocks and have never tried an all-male and I'm an idiot, so take it with a grain of salt, but... My wife and I were just discussing this same thing last night.

I keep Mbuna. I know all fish are individuals and different, but both my wife and I were shocked at the difference having too few fish in a tank makes on aggression and the apparent stress of the inhabitants. We had quarantined cichlids together in 30 gallon tanks. We started out with 7 in a 29G and aggression was a nightmare. We wound up rehoming the fish for something that would do better (Assuming the species of the fish was driving it). After this though, we never quarantined less than a dozen in a 30 at a time and didn't see this type of stressful aggression again. Until we wound up with only 6 Chindongo Sulosi in a 30... the dominant male has the other 5 running scared constantly. The difference is so striking I kinda recoiled at the thought of only 6 peacocks in a 75. I have 7 very small albino peacocks in a 20 and I think it's too few as one is becoming very harried. I like more fish. I like so many more fish, in fact, I find myself solidly out of the orthodoxy here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts