Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a tank made from 8 mm (5/16th inches) glass that measures 80cm by 47cm, 40 cm high (32" by 19", 16" high) need a brace or will it hold without it?

They sure do look nicer without the brace, but 40 gallons on the floor isn't much fun :)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmm... amazing what a bit of googling can do :)

Found this calculator

According to it I need at least 6.38mm for that size tank, so that leaves me with a decent margin.

Any other input/experiences will still be appreciated.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hi Ya

try it and see if the front/back starts to bow, you can always add one later if it does. The point you are going to be most at risk is when you are filling the tank and large water changes.

Is there a reason you don’t want to use a brace?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the tank now. It doesn't have a standard brace but it has a divider about 1/4 down the length. I've used it for salt water, but for cichlids I want to use the full length and cut out the divider.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ahhh - OK. Certainly from all the evidence it looks like it will hold, but keep in mind the older the tank gets the less tolerance the glass has to stress. Same for the silicon. Every time you do a water change the tank is stressed a little, over the course of a year this can add up.

Let me know how you get on :thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts