Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to start a 90g Malawi tank and upon closer inspection of my tank, which has been sitting empty for a few years, has a chip on one of the edges of the back pane of glass. I have half-filled the tank (over the course of a few days) to check for leaks and there doesn't appear to be any but I am worried that the tank has been weakened. Is there anything I can do (silicone etc) to make sure this isn't an issue in the coming years? See link for picture of chip.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have a similar chip in a tank and it has not been an issue.

·
Registered
464 Posts
If that was me, id add silicon to that section and shape it so if fills the chip perfectly and looks like its part of the glass.. They make black silicon sealant.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cromak said:
If that was me, id add silicon to that section and shape it so if fills the chip perfectly and looks like its part of the glass.. They make black silicon sealant.
That's my plan too, I was just wondering if this weakens the tank at all or is most of the pressure held in by the rims and rest of the seal. We had thought to put the tank in the basement but would rather have it in our living room so we can appreciate it but the consequences a of a tank leak/failure are much greater up a floor on hardwood.

·
Super Moderator
1,837 Posts
Is the chip loose at all?

It looks fairly large in the picture. Another member had a similar chip and used Perma Poxy 5 minute General Purpose to repair the area. He said the epoxy was easy to work with and dries clear, not yellow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts