Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The keeping of North American Native fishes is an extremely under rated part of the hobby in general, and i think not approached by a lot of fish keepers simply because of no education that they exist, or the almost endless variety of species that are available for the taking.

I would like to see a lot more interest here in these fishes.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I've kept native fish on and off for years. before I moved I had a tank containing some native killies and some sticklebacks. I've had fabulous darters before as well!

·
Banned
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How were the sticklebacks??? *** thought of keeping those, but im still working my way through the sunfish species, Gar and Bowfin. *** also kept a few Darters awhile back loved those fish, they are great for those with smaller tanks, and some are really colorful, all are very interesting little fish. I have a line on some sculpins for later in the spring. A guy in the Northern US has offered to ship me a few, they are also very interesting looking. I just cant wait ofr it to warm up so i can get back in the creeks, im gonna do more seining this year hopefully :)

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
The sticklebacks were very cool. They move through the water in all directions and are perfectly comfortable swimming in reverse as well as laterally and vertically. Definitely worth a try.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sticklebacks are definitely cool, kinda like aquatic hummingbirds. Pygmy sunfish, darters, sculpins and killis are my favorites though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts