Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Here is my tank i just set up today. let me know if i need more rock or what plants you would add. any ideas will be appreciated!!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Continuing on this thread, thank you for your kind words about my tank, it used to be saltwater and all that rock used to be a pretty successful coral reef but then a starfish wiped out a lot of my stuff and I needed a break. I wanted to get started again but I wanted cheaper, easier, but equally colorful fish. And that's how I started with mbuna.

As for your tank, I like the rocks you've chose. Really, I'd just add more and call it a day. Maybe bring it up 1/2 up the tank and make it wider. I think plants take up too much space but that's just me.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah when i first went to my creek to get the rock i thought i got too much, but then i stacked it and realized i probably need to double what i got the first time. time to do more bleaching and boiling!! i never had plants in my last tank either. id rather have it more open than having plants taking up room.

I have a friend who has a salt water tank and from what i hear it takes a lot of work and can be quiet expensive. id still mayb one day like to take a shot at it though.

·
Registered
190 Posts
nice tank so far
the only thing i can think of is when you add more rock just add it in an irregular fashion
so it doesnt look so forced in the middle
also go about 3/4 of the way up at least on one side
they like to go up about as high as the highest cover

keep us up to date :thumb:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks!! i will definitely keep it up to date ill run down to the creek tomorrow in search for lots more rock. i get nervous about stacking the rock real high but i suppose it will be fine as long as i stack is well

·
Registered
625 Posts
dillon0990 said:
I have a friend who has a salt water tank and from what i hear it takes a lot of work and can be quiet expensive. id still mayb one day like to take a shot at it though.
You are exactly right on all counts. I am looking into nano reefs now to save on space, overall expense (it is easily more expensive than larger tanks gallon to gallon and still has it's costs), and ease of regular maintenance (I'd rather change 1-2 gallons a week rather than 10 every 3).

Cichlids are a great choice too and I'm really happy with going mbuna and I'm sure you'll be too.

If you don't have to pay for those rocks, I'd say take them as high as possible. And if you use silicon, make sure you still leave groups of rocks that are siliconed together unattached to the rest. That way you will be able to get them out of your tank.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I would try and arrange the rocks were there are caves and openings for them to swim into.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah i tried to space each rock and stack is to have opening. its probably hard to see with out me zooming in. *** read a couple places that they dont like big openings just small one just big enough for them to squeeze through.

So even if i add more rock stacked all across and to the top i will still be able to have the same amount of fish? i didnt know if that would cut down on the number of fish i can keep.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would add plants just for the color, and to livin up the tank a bit. But thats a good start, what fish will you be keeping?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
im thinking ill be keeping blue zebra, rusties, and saulosi.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i went to the creek and got more rocks today they should be ready to go in tomorrow and ill get some more pics.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got more rock in my tank let me know what you think.

Here is before:

And here is after:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Now we're talking! :thumb: This is going to shape up into one really nice Mbuna tank if you ask me.

Even I can't wait for it to finishing cycling to see howit looks with fish.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
haha thanks im glad you like it!!! I like it a lot better than before. i ended up not using silicon. i think i got them stacked well. if i go any higher ill have to silicone though but i doubt i will. do you think its stacked high enough or would you go higher? or a better question is how much more weight should i put in the tank? id say theres roughly 150lbs in there now. in between the rock pile and the back of the tank is probably 2 inches. is that enough for them to swim all the way through, or should i have put the rock pile all the way up against the back?

As for the cycling i filled the tank yesterday at 10 a.m. i added roughly 3-4 ppm of ammonia. i checked it a few hours ago and it read the same. how many days do you think it will be before i see the ammonia to start to drop?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
o one more question should i move the filter intake tube up above the rocks because right now i have it down behind them bout 3 inches from the bottom of tank

·
Registered
625 Posts
I think your height is just fine right now. Mine was 2" from the back but moving it against the back makes vacuuming gravel easier form me. I'd leave it there and see how it works for you.

I have never cycled wth ammonia so I can't help you there, but I know someone here can answer that for you.

·
Registered
625 Posts
The intake is fine where it is. You'll have to move it if you notice detritus acculturating in the tank and your filter stays relatively clean.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
what do you think of adding a couple pieces of driftwood infront of the rocks?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'm the wrong person to ask about driftwood! I'm horribly biased against it. I got a huge piece (46") and I soaked it in my pond for 6 months. Let it dry out, poured boiling water on it, pretty much every rememdy under the sun to rid it of tannins. In less than a week, my tank was so full of tannins you couldn't see all the way through the tank. I fooled with it for another 6 months but finally took it out.

Other people have success and love it, I'm just more of a rock person. When it's done right it can look really cool though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts