Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is Ginger. She is two years old. For 3 months she’s had this white spot on her fin. A week ago it was almost completely gone! Now it’s getting bigger. I’ve tried two different medications, and no luck. She seems to be a happy and healthy fish. A great appetite! Anyone know what it could be? I do a partial water change every week. Her water tests are always good (even before the water change) I have aquarium salt in her water too (measured) I just don’t know what I’m doing wrong 😑 hopefully someone knows what this is and knows how to cure it. Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
It's a calcium buildup. Quite likely to come and go. Harmless. Quite often we see very similar posts about unknown issues. Often not an issue at all. Be very aware that medicating tanks and fish without knowing what the ailment is can easily lead to serious problems that never existed. The power of simple clean water will really surprise you. Can you give a little info on the tank size, tank stock and what volume your water changes are? I would also stop salting the water. Fresh water cichlids do very well in fresh water. Brackish species aside, clean pristine water is all you should ever need

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She’s a red devil cichlid. Her tank size is a 46 gallon. She’s the only one in the tank, has been for two years. I do a 30% partial water change every week. I will stop the salt!! Thank you soooo much! I just noticed a white spot on her bump too. I was wondering if she maybe scraped it going in and out of her cave. She moves all the stone out of it to lay her eggs every month lol you think that could be a calcium buildup also???

·
Registered
293 Posts
Most likely a scrape. RD is a great fish, good wet pet. Mine is 10 yrs old, well over a foot long. Lives alone in a 6 ft 180 g tank. Can you guess where this is going? Your tank is extremely too small for this fish. Please consider a substantial upsize. Short term, Ginger will appreciate more fresh water. Increase volume and frequency until she is getting at least 50 percent twice a week. Gradually so not to shock the fish. Next change double the volume. Then hit it again 4-5 days later. Keep it up while you shop for a bigger tank. I suggest a minimum 60 x18 footprint and 100 plus gallons.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh I definitely will get her a bigger tank! We’ve been talking about it for awhile now ☺ Her 46 gallon looks bigger, because it’s tall and wide (so she can turn around easily) She sure would appreciate a much bigger one!! Thank you so much for your advice 👍

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TetraCichlid floating cichlid floating sticks 6 or 10 a day. She’s super picky spits out a lot of different foods. She loves these floating sticks tho. Once in awhile those frozen bloodworms. She always begs for food, but I stay strong and don’t give in. The more they eat the more they poop which would be acidity water so…..

·
Registered
293 Posts
Ok.. if I may, and I don't want to come off as preachy...... But, those Tetra sticks are ****. Fish love them because of it, go figure. At her age she really shouldn't be eating every day, certainly not twice per. A stubborn cichlid can try your patience, no doubt, but rest assured they won't starve themselves. Show some resolve and make her eat better. Frozen food is often as much as 75 percent moisture, offers very little in nutrition. Freeze dried on the other hand is far superior. Tried raw fish, shrimp? Live earthworm, mealworm? Virtually anything on the market is better than Tetra sticks. Popular in the mid grade pellet is Hikari or Omega One. High end quality is Northfin or New Life Spectrum. Don't worry one bit if she won't eat. Fish like that can go weeks, no exaggeration, and not eat anything, and show no ill effects. When she gets hungry enough, she will accept what you offer. Make it so,lol!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Everything said here is pretty much spot on, but I will take exception to one comment. I don’t think it is bad at all to add aquarium salt to the aquarium. It doesn’t turn your fresh water tank into a brackish water tank. It simply adds a measured dose of naturally occurring salt (something that even fresh water fish need) into the aquarium. Adding salt is not medicating the tank, but does prevent a lot of harmful outbreaks.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Ok.. if I may, and I don't want to come off as preachy...... But, those Tetra sticks are ****. Fish love them because of it, go figure. At her age she really shouldn't be eating every day, certainly not twice per. A stubborn cichlid can try your patience, no doubt, but rest assured they won't starve themselves. Show some resolve and make her eat better. Frozen food is often as much as 75 percent moisture, offers very little in nutrition. Freeze dried on the other hand is far superior. Tried raw fish, shrimp? Live earthworm, mealworm? Virtually anything on the market is better than Tetra sticks. Popular in the mid grade pellet is Hikari or Omega One. High end quality is Northfin or New Life Spectrum. Don't worry one bit if she won't eat. Fish like that can go weeks, no exaggeration, and not eat anything, and show no ill effects. When she gets hungry enough, she will accept what you offer. Make it so,lol!
Can you elaborate on not eating every day please? Is this particular to this type of fish? I've always fed 6-7 days a week (never had a Red Devil).

·
Registered
293 Posts
@Florida Chester. A fresh water cichlid must retain within itself a salinity level higher than its environment. Salting the aquarium, while not making it brackish, not considered medicating either still makes the fish burn calories to regulate itself to it's water. Salt as an everyday component in a freshwater cichlid tank is unnecessary imo. @ Mr. Tobias.. I refer to adult fish, and while Ginger maybe borderline old juvie- sub adult, she doesn't need that many calories. Any given cichlid will retain its last meal for about 4 days. They are genetically able to go long periods with no food, as in the wild food is simply not available at all times. It's good to let our aquarium fish have some lean times. Makes them properly digest , take full advantage of all nutrition. A hungry fish is a healthy fish. Not starving, under nourished by any means, but far from over fed. I'm sure your ,6-7 feeds a week are not harmful in any way, but your fish will do just as well with ,4-5. Keeps the tank and water cleaner too. What goes in always comes out!

·
Registered
151 Posts
@Florida Chester. A fresh water cichlid must retain within itself a salinity level higher than its environment. Salting the aquarium, while not making it brackish, not considered medicating either still makes the fish burn calories to regulate itself to it's water. Salt as an everyday component in a freshwater cichlid tank is unnecessary imo. @ Mr. Tobias.. I refer to adult fish, and while Ginger maybe borderline old juvie- sub adult, she doesn't need that many calories. Any given cichlid will retain its last meal for about 4 days. They are genetically able to go long periods with no food, as in the wild food is simply not available at all times. It's good to let our aquarium fish have some lean times. Makes them properly digest , take full advantage of all nutrition. A hungry fish is a healthy fish. Not starving, under nourished by any means, but far from over fed. I'm sure your ,6-7 feeds a week are not harmful in any way, but your fish will do just as well with ,4-5. Keeps the tank and water cleaner too. What goes in always comes out!
Excellent, thank you. I will keep that in mind particularly when the fish mature.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts