Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any success/feedback on these guys? I really like demasoni, but they are crazy little guys haha. I've read that these are a more mild manored fish...any truth to that? Would like to maybe mix with some haps, just an idea for now tho... :fish: :fish:
Thanks for any help

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Giant demasoni, or Metriaclima sp. "dolphin" are definitely more mellow than Pseudotropheus demasoni.

Whether they can be mixed with haps or not depends entirely on the haps in question/size of the tank/other inhabitants/etc.

kevin

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I've never had Cyrtocara moorii and I have to be honest; I've heard many different things. The prevailing wisdom seems to be that they are a little more delicate and don't show much character or breeding unless in larger groups as part of a peaceful aquarium.
But I've also heard of people who had just one or two and they did fine.
There's a beast of an old moorii in the Malawi tank at the Toronto Zoo who looks like he'd stand up to any fish.

But either way, I wouldn't put a moorii in a 75 - if they even approach their full size they'll have trouble turning around!

kevin

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, well what would be the best grouping of the Giant Demasoni, not the Cyrtocara moorii, in a 75. I've heard they are so peaceful, it doesn't even matter the male/female ratio because they are so chill

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
By themselves? I suppose you could fit a dozen or more giant demasoni in a 75 as a single species tank.

I don't know if they're that chill, but if you're buying juveniles you could start with twelve or 15 and remove the odd troublemaker if things get less peaceful as they mature.

kevin

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
12 to 15? Are we talking about the same species here? Haha. Not so sound rude, but in a 75, these fish get closer to 7 inches, wouldn't that be sort of a stretch? Correct if I'm wrong

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had one for a few months now and it has worked out well (so far). He is with several peacocks a couple of haps and a pair of hongis. I have not witnessed him chasing much or harrassing other fish. Time will tell I suppose. ;)

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
mattawan_cichlid said:
12 to 15? Are we talking about the same species here? Haha. Not so sound rude, but in a 75, these fish get closer to 7 inches, wouldn't that be sort of a stretch? Correct if I'm wrong
I have no idea if I'm right or wrong, but it's fairly common to have 4 groups of largish mbuna in a 75 - at the correct ratios that's about 16 fish right there.

So I don't think it's out of the question to have a dozen or more in a single species tank.

Note also that I said: "if you're buying juveniles you could start with twelve or 15 and remove the odd troublemaker if things get less peaceful as they mature."

kevin

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry, didn't mean to sound rude or like a jack*** haha just wanna get my set up right you know? But I do know what you mean, it sounds good, I think I might try them out thanks for your help ridley, and sorry if I offended you

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
No offense taken at all!

kevin

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
hey mattawan I just sent you a big PM so I won't repeat it all here but just will say that the LFS where I bought them breeds them in a 75g with a school of yellow labs as dithers so I think they'd be fine in a 75g, but I'd stock something like giant dems, yellow labs, and something else smaller and less aggressive, like rusties - probably just 3 species given their size, but they don't seem to need the swimming length like aceis, so a 4' tank should be fine.

I didn't say in the PM but since it was brought up here, I think giant dems need to be the typical 1m:4f (or at least, just 1 male unless its a species only tank when 3 might work with enough females). I've got 2 males and while they keep to themselves at opposite ends of the tank now, they have gotten into spats before, and I expect I could come home one day and find one of them dead sooner or later if I don't remove one soon. mainganos I had a year ago, found one male (the dominant one, no less) dead out of the blue with no previous signs of stress after just a couple months. Albino zebras, took about 9 months but recently came home to find one male out of 2 vying for dominance killed, again no previous signs of stress (hiding/not eating/etc). I had noticed some fighting at times but it was never damaging until bam out of the blue dead fish. the giant dems are more peaceful but IMO its like skittishness like a skittish dog - leave it alone and it'll never bother you, but corner it and make it feel threatened or try to grab its food bowl and its likely to lash out and bite.

They are a great fish though. I don't have experience trying to mix mbuna and haps so I can't really comment, but my LFS has a display all male mixed african tank that includes a male giant dem, a male and female yellow lab, some other mbuna, haps, and peacocks, including a really nice large trout cichlid I remember being there a year ago when the store first opened at about half its current size. Also, a frontosa, which looked absolutely miserable hiding in the corner behind some rocks. I'll stop in again sometime and take some pics.

·
Registered
6 Posts
mattawan_cichlid said:
Haha, thanks for the feedback gdmeadows, do you just have one male? or female? How big is your tank
I have just one. I think it is a male but hard to tell. The tank he is in now is a 65 gallon tank. I saw you talking about a Moori too. I have one of those in my other tank (75 gallon but hope to upgrade to larger tank in a year or so). He is a good size male and fits in well w/ my other fish. Not very confrontational but can hold his own ground.
I have a single female demasoni in the 75 gallon tank too. She hasn't been much of a trouble maker yet, but I'm keeping an eye on her. If I had known about the Giant Demasoni then I would have gotten one of those instead. I LOVE the color of the Giant Demasoni much better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.