Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read in several places that it is wise to go ahead and start with Metro when you add new tropheus to an existing tank. It seems the new fish often carry some disease and the stress of going into a new home brings illness on.

I see a supplier that sells a Spirulina already treated with Metro... Think this would be just as good as soaking my Metro in their food?

·
Super Moderator
40,704 Posts
I would wait for confirmation on the advisability of doing this. If it is recommended by other experienced members for tropheus...I would buy straight metro.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
It is something that I have done in the past quite a few times. A lot of people advise against it as medicating for precautionary reasons can possibly cause the fish to be less responsive to treatment when it is actually needed.
I personally would not feed them any medicated food as I doubt that they were being fed this before and feeding them a new type of food can cause issues.
If you are going to do it, I would use either use Metro in the water or Kanaplex.
I have found that the best way to acclimate Trophs is to start off with a bare tank (other than substrate) so that they don't have any territory to fight over.
keep the lights off as much as possible for a few days.
Don't feed them the day you get them.
Try to feed them the same food that they were fed by the seller.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts