Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys. As some of you may know, in the past two months I have been preparing my 125 gallon tank. Tommorow, I am buying about 4 fish. These 4 will be of one species. Then next week, I will buy a bunch more. About 10-15. Now before I buy, I have two questions. First of all, out of thse cichlids, which is the most peacful one. This way, I will know which ones to buy tomorrow.
Maingano
Yellow Labs
Red Zebras
Cobalt Blue Zebras
Rusties
Afras
Yellow Tail Acei.

Now the second question it, will yellow labs, red zebras, and cobalt blues cross breed?

Ps- I got a camera, so I can tak a pic of my tank!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
The two zebras may as well as the zebras and labs. if you keep the male to female ratio up they may not. But I think it really depends on the fish. I have a lab/zebra hybrid I bought thinkin it was a yellow lab, well I ordered female labs for him but he only had eyes for an ob zebra female that he harrased to the end :(

But from what I have read on here, id say the acie or labs would b the most peaceful maybe the rusties. But I have never owned a rustie.

Goodluck with your aquarium.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
All things being equal, you will find the Yellow labs to be most peaceful, followed by the Rusties and the Acei.

Red Zebras and Cobalt Blue Zebras are both from the genus Metriaclima, so there is a strong chance they will cross breed. I wouldn't put both species in the same tank.

Red Zebras and Labs are notorious cross-breeders, but I sometimes think it's because they're both commonly kept so they have lots of opportunities! I never kept both at the same time but I suspect (opinion only) that it's usually a male Red Zebra that has his way with female Labs, as opposed to the other way around.

The most aggressive fish on your list is the Maingano. (latin name Pseudotropheus (formerly Melanochromis) cyaneorhabdos) Many posters have had trouble with their aggression with ratios less than 1m/7f, but you have some room to play in a 125.

kevin

·
Super Moderator
40,883 Posts
You probably want 5 or more of each species. You want to end up with 1m:4f but since we often buy unsexed juveniles and m:f is about 50:50 you need to buy 8 or so to end up with 4f.

Agree with previous advice, I would not combine yellow labs/red zebras or red zebras and cobalt zebras. And go 1m:7f on the Maingano.

Also, assuming you have done a fishless cycle with ammonia, I would buy 16 fish (2 species) tomorrow and then wait until ammonia and nitrite return to zero before adding more. The reason is your beneficial bacteria level after a fishless cycle is high and if you add only 4 fish some of them will die off which is not what you want at this stage.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Don't do it.
You'll be Hooked. No pun intended.
You'll be hear for years enjoying and might even get overload. Ha Ha.

Good luck.

Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts