Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys *** got a 90 gallon all male mbuna tank and im getting ready to start my first 3d background. my question is what to do with my 7 fish during this whole process? i dont have another tank they can be rehomed to so i dont know what to do. i would also like any suggestions you have on things that would make the build go easier and quicker

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
For a faster build, start carving the Styrofoam while the fish are in the tank. Do your measurements then have at it! When it comes time for final measurements, remove the water and fish.

If it's only 7 fish, I would invest in a small, 10-20 gallon tank. On the upside of that, you'll also have a small tank to use as a sick tank (if need be) in the future.
If you prefer not to purchase a tank, then buy a large Rubbermaid container and transfer the fish into the container. -If they're going to be in there for a couple of days, you might want to add some substrate. What kind of filters are you running?

After the final touches, coat with Drylok. Let it dry, then do a final coat of Drylok (tinted with color) and let that dry. Use Silicone (GE Silicone 1 for doors and attics) to attach background, let dry then place all the fish, substrate back into the tank.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the encouragement and i already have some large rubbermaids so ill use those and go to town i will post pics along the way so stay tuned

·
Registered
78 Posts
DanniGirl said:
For a faster build, start carving the Styrofoam while the fish are in the tank. Do your measurements then have at it! When it comes time for final measurements, remove the water and fish.

If it's only 7 fish, I would invest in a small, 10-20 gallon tank. On the upside of that, you'll also have a small tank to use as a sick tank (if need be) in the future.
If you prefer not to purchase a tank, then buy a large Rubbermaid container and transfer the fish into the container. -If they're going to be in there for a couple of days, you might want to add some substrate. What kind of filters are you running?

After the final touches, coat with Drylok. Let it dry, then do a final coat of Drylok (tinted with color) and let that dry. Use Silicone (GE Silicone 1 for doors and attics) to attach background, let dry then place all the fish, substrate back into the tank.
:thumb: you make it sound easy enough for me to get started...works fer me;) after building fake walls for our bearded dragons, and dealing with grout, this will be a breeeeeeze!
Thanks!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Maybe you could try this:
do the measurements etc and get the BG made with drylok etc. once the BG is completely done soak it in a tub of water for a few days to ensure any toxins are well leached out. then partially empty the water from your tank. this is just to prevent a spill over. you could coincide this with a water change. keep the fish in there. i would assume your BG is made in several sections and not just one single piece. place the pieces from the most backward one onward and lean them against the back panel of the tank. no need to silicone them in place. just add some stones in front to hold the pieces of BG in place. some vertical slabs of light stone would help you in this and even hide the BG partition edges.
its not the ideal situation but at least you wont have to remove the fish...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Awesome idea...I am not sure how bouyant the background would be, so...anyone that has built a bg try this??

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Depends on the size and thickness of the background, the weight and height of the rocks and the top of your tank.
For-instance, if your background is several inches thick on the top (shelf-like) rocks would not hold the styrofoam in place, espiecally if you only had a 1/8" of overhang from the trim. Also, keep in mind that there's a chance that the rocks (when placing them against the drylok) will damage the drylok application, so be sure to have some pigments mixed up for patch work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts