Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not exactly new to fishkeeping, but it has been around 21 years since my last aquarium. That was a 180 gallon planted community tank that was in my living room until my son, age 3 at the time, knocked a hole in one end of the tank one evening while I was at work. My wife was about 38 weeks pregnant at the time and she called me at the fire station as she was franticly trying to catch the water streaming from this hole in the side of the tank in five gallon buckets and trying to get them into the bathroom to empty into the bathtub before the next bucket filled up. The carpet in the living room and dining room was soaked and the water was coming out faster than she could handle it. After that incident I thought I had better give her a chance to settle down a bit before suggesting that we set up another tank. It may have been long enough. She still shoots me dirty looks when I mention getting another aquarium, but I'm ready to try one anyway.

So back in the days between 1994 and 2000, I was quite active in fishkeeping. My only experience with African Cichlids was with four fish that I bought at Walmart, I think they were either Pseudotropheus demasoni or Maylandia zebra. I put these, one male and three female in a 55 gallon tank. Three months later, I had the original four along with 16 more fast growing offspring. I quickly realized that my 55 gallon tank was too small for these fish so I sold them all to my local fish store and went back to the peaceful community aquarium fish. As I'm getting ready to plunge back into the hobby, all I can think about is how much I want another Malawi Cichlid tank. So I still have my aquarium stand from my last 180 gallon tank. However, I'm having trouble locating another tank to put on it. If I remember correctly, I paid around $450 dollars for that tank back then. I'm seeing some of the online sites selling that size tank for around $1200 dollars. Is this an artificially inflated price because of all the shipping and supply chain problems related to Covid 19 or have the prices of these big tanks really increased that much? Today I was at my local big chain pet store looking at the 75 gallon setup they have with the tank, stand, covers and lights for $399.99 and I almost pulled the trigger and bought it, but I decided to try one more time to find another 180 gallon tank (72"x24"x24"). Any ideas on where I should be looking?

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
I have not priced new aquariums recently, but I would go to your LFS and ask them about the price to order an aqueon 180G.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts