Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 75 gallon tank with a 'reef' of Texas holey rock. There are plenty of hiding places and room for multiple territories.

I have 3 yellow laps and 4 jewels. Two of the jewels have formed a pair - they have turned red and spend most of their time together - but they have not spawned yet. The paired male chases the other two jewels consistently. So far it's just chasing. I don't see any nipped fins or any other damage to those who are chased.
The labs get chased a little bit but usually for just short burst.

I really, really want the pair to spawn. Would removing unpaired jewels increase the chances that the pair will breed?

I"ve read that it's a good idea to keep dithers with a spawning pair. If I remove the chased jewels I expect that the labs will be chased more. Do you think they'll be attacked or just chased? The labs are a bit smaller than the jewels.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had 6 red jewels in a 55 cichlid community that picked a place behind a rock and owned it forever. They produced huge batches of fry and protected them well. Once they turned red, they did get more agressive to others but never more than a chase. No losses happened, but I would sure keep an eye on the others because I think they have potential to damage other fish. I just might have been lucky. Once fry were strong, they were sucked out with siphon and they have more soon. The fry seemed to be delicate little things.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Oh yeah I had a community cichlid tank and I had a pair of small jewels spawn. They are some tough boogers. They get really aggressive, they were taking on jds twice their size and held it down. It was in a 55 and they took over 3/4 of the tank once the fry became free swimming. These guys can cause damage to your other fish. Be cautious. Just keep an eye out on any of the fish you really like because a pair will kill , and it can be fast. Good luck. :thumb:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts