Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend tells me he will sell me his 10 gallon long aquarium for $20. I plan on taking my small convict out of my 55 and placing him in this longer tank. Eventually, when I can tell the sex, I will get the opposite sex to house with it and hope for the best!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Ten gallons isn't a lot of room for convicts to breed in, but you should be able to pull it off if the housing is temporary and you move at least one of the cons back to the 55. Once the cons are bigger the ten might be too small to even pull off a temporary thing. When you say 10 gal. long, what dimensions are you talking about?
Good luck with the breeding! I hope you have an outlet for the fry! :thumb:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
duds said:
Ten gallons isn't a lot of room for convicts to breed in, but you should be able to pull it off if the housing is temporary and you move at least one of the cons back to the 55. Once the cons are bigger the ten might be too small to even pull off a temporary thing. When you say 10 gal. long, what dimensions are you talking about?
Good luck with the breeding! I hope you have an outlet for the fry! :thumb:
I can't say as I haven't even seen the tank. I've never seen a 10 gallon long, so I'm taking what my friend said with a heaping grain of salt.

Right now, my con is really small, so I figure 10 gallons should be fine, and plus he won't have to deal with that pesky socolofi always chasing him. :wink: But when will I be able to tell if it is a male of female? I know females have orange bellies, but when do they show up?

·
Registered
204 Posts
10g is fine temp but like duds mentioned earlier there isnt a lot of room for the cons to breed in.
another possibility is either the male or female would kill each other.

Female cons tend to show the orange coloring on their bellies as early as 1-1.5".

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I already set it up. It's certainly NOT 10 gallons, actually I think he said he got it at Pet co, so it's probably that bookshelf aquarium set up. When I stressed my disaproval, he threw in the heater. All that for 20 bucks! It has a large footprint, it's about 2 feet long by 8 inches high. I think it'll do as a temporary home for a convict.

I filled it up with water from my already established aquarium, and put in a cichlid stone from it. All that I had to do was buy 1 bag of gravel! Ohh,and I purchased 2 live plants.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
A regular 10 gallons measurements are 20x10x12. So the footprint is 24x?x8 ? Never seen a tank like that.

·
Registered
284 Posts
There's a 10 gal that has a 24x8.5 footprint (and 12.5" high), could be the one you have. You said 8" high, but did you mean 8" deep? If that's your tank, it's good dimensions for a 10... still small, but good for a 10.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
duds said:
There's a 10 gal that has a 24x8.5 footprint (and 12.5" high), could be the one you have. You said 8" high, but did you mean 8" deep? If that's your tank, it's good dimensions for a 10... still small, but good for a 10.
Yeah that sounds right. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Yeah, the petco bookshelf aquarium...

I've actually thought about picking this up if they have a big sale, nice dimensions

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Yeah I might pick one of those up myself. Is it only 6.6 gallons? It looks a lot bigger in the video.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Yeah, the width is why it's such a small volume, I believe it's only 8 inches wide, and only 8.5 inches tall, so the extreme length makes it look really big

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Would be a nice set up for some neons or a Guppy tank. Might do this for a shrimp tank as well so I can feed my jds. :D

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Yeah I've thought about it for a shrimp or shelly tank too

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Flippercon said:
Yeah I might pick one of those up myself. Is it only 6.6 gallons? It looks a lot bigger in the video.
My friend told me it was 10 gallons, but he's no expert on the subject. I filled it with water from my 55. The fact that it's so long makes it seem like it's a bigger tank. I think my juvenile cichlid will love it. I place 2 live plants and a large cichlid stone in there, and there's still alot of room! I also put a layer of 5% window tint on the back!

The filter he gave me is really loud. I'm going to replace it with one of those cheap China-made ones from Walmart.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Nice I need to get some stones too. Can we see some pics? :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
For a 6.6 gallon tank it looks huge. Nice job by the way.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Flippercon said:
For a 6.6 gallon tank it looks huge. Nice job by the way.
Thanks. The tint job is really shabby, but to my credit, part of that was glare. :D

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Definitely, makes me really want to splurge on one with money I don't have :lol:

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.