Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently acquired about 20 German Red Peacocks. In the past I've had a wide variety of mbuna but I wanted to try something different this go round.

I have a few questions that I was hoping others with some experience with peacocks could assist me with.

Firstly, on diet - I've read some conflicting things here. Mostly I see "feed a meaty diet" but of course this goes against everything I've done with mbuna. How much of a "meaty" diet should they get? 50%? 90%? Are frozen brine shrimp okay, as long as I've thawed them out before adding to tank? I read some where that frozen foods could cause issues, but I don't understand how if they are thawed out first?

I currently have them on thawed frozen brine shrimp once every other day, and then frequent, but small feedings of an omnivore cichlid flake. I couldn't find a sinking pellet that looked small enough. (They are around two, to two and a half inches long.)

My second question is about sexing them. They were sold "unsexed" though I did request they try if at all possible to put more females in then males. When I first added them to my tank, half or so were darker in color then the others. Now it's hard to say. Some of them that are lighter in color I can see faint splotches of red coloration. I think. -_-

Any tips on sexing at this size? The only other difference I've noticed is some do have what looks like to my poor eye sight clear spots all over their dorsal fin. At first I thought they might be sick, but upon closer inspection, it really just looks like the spots that might later turn blue in coloration.

I am sorry to have made my first post so long winded, but I just wanted to try to be through.

I appreciate any comments and suggestions.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
How big are they?

Some of the prepared pellet and flake foods are the best food you could feed your cichlids. Something such as New Life Spectrum, Dainichi or Hikari pellets are what I would recommend.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fogelhund said:
How big are they?

Some of the prepared pellet and flake foods are the best food you could feed your cichlids. Something such as New Life Spectrum, Dainichi or Hikari pellets are what I would recommend.
They average @ 2 inches in length. I did consider Dainichi @ the lfs, but the pellets seemed a bit large. I guess I could soak them a bit before putting them in?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
wolfynn said:
Fogelhund said:
How big are they?

They average @ 2 inches in length. I did consider Dainichi @ the lfs, but the pellets seemed a bit large. I guess I could soak them a bit before putting them in?
Dainichi does make a baby sized pellet. The "small" pellets do seem like a big jump from the baby size. Purhaps you can find that size online if your LFS doesn't carry them. Probably cheaper too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts