Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my juvi german red peacocks for about a month now. No idea how old they were when I purchased them, got them from livefishdirect.com -

They act pretty healthy, a few of them had some split fins when they got here, but thats cleared up. I started looking at pictures of other peoples German Red's and realized...they looked nothing like mine. Mine are *dark* and others I have seen are much more...silver. Maybe it's just an age thing? I guess I just want to make sure no mix up's took place.

Having no previous experience with the growth of peacocks of any variety, I thought I would post a few pictures and see what you guys thought.

Please forgive the bare bottom stripped down tank, it's just a temp while I set up a large one.

All water parameters are good -

pH 7.9
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5 (I was told this should be @ 40 ppm or lower?)
Temp 75-78

The lighting is very bright, they are actually much darker under normal light conditions (I had two t5 fluorescent and a reg. strip fluorescent on the tank, normally I just have the one strip light but I thought it would help take a clearer picture.)

The pictures are here: http://eeffgg.blogspot.com/2011/03/germ ... hlids.html

(sorry not familiar with how to post pictures directly into the post) [/img]

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Look normal to me... except the two swimming upside down. :wink: (Yes, I know that is a reflection, but it still looks weird.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for posting for me!

I know I couldn't find many pictures of juvenile german reds, but they all looked pretty silver so I was just wondering! I know you just have to be patient, I just hope I don't have to wait a year or more to figure out how many males vs. females lol

Thanks again though for the replies / assistance

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I had 3 of these and it took about 3 months or so after getting them at around the 2.5 inch mark before they started showing color (3.5"), and about 4 months before they started breeding (4" or so).

Note tho even when I did trade them in after about 6 months they still didnt fully color up, but did look just like that while they were real young.

Hang in there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts