Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im sort of switching forums from my old one to this one, and was hoping to get a liltle more advice on my plan for my new 29 gal. I really like the german blues and i know that they do best in a heavily planted tank with a smaller but relaxed tank mates. I'm curiuos if you guys/ladies think that getting 6 rams and around 3-4 tetras would be good for a 29gal witch i believe is around (dont have a tape measure handy) 32" long and 12" deep guessing

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yea that would be good, but what tetras and blue rams stay small or at less littler than gold and Bolivian.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response, im still looking at fish at the moment so im not sure about what i want to put in there *** found these "gold angel rams" at my lfs. *** never seen or even herd of an angel ram but can assume the housing would be the same.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Gold rams are just a colour morph of Blue rams.

There are a few mutations of rams, some are labled balloon, others have long fins and you will even find long fin balloon rams. I dislike both mutations as the fish just look wrong, and in my opinion it's a form of fish cruelty.

Blue rams are by nature a pairing fish and are not as social as Bolivian rams. You could start with six juvenile Blue rams, and hope for them to pair up, but I would think that your tank may only be suitable for two adult pairs.

As for tetras, you want to keep species that can handle the higher temps Blue rams prefer. Rummynose and Green Neon tetras would be the two top choices here. You should look to have atleast six tetras in your school.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ill have to check out those tetras and I am familiar with the GBR's I've tried keeping 1 a couple times and tragedy has struck both times I never did get my water levels read each of those times. I've done some research and according to that the gold and Bolivian rams are hardier, I have read that the balloon rams do have health issues. And thanks for the info on how many pairs that's actually exactly what I was hoping to end up with.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've got a GBR with my 2 Angels in my 29 gallon. A bit small, I know :oops: but they get along great! MY Ram thinks he is an Angel, because he likes to swim with them when they are going around the tank haha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts