Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the lfs I work at, some guy brought in a bunch of baby geos. He said that they were an undescribed species, called "Rio Salitos". I can't find anything on the internet about these geos. I don't have any pics, but they have the body shape of brasiliensis(pearls), but the color is wrong. They are about 2 inches long, and have a spot about half way down their body, and a black eye stripe. Basically, they look identicle to the 2 inch blue acaras that we have them in a tank with, except the acaras are a darker color. The geos have a tanish grey background. They are deffaintly some kind of geo. My best guess is that they are some kind of hybrid. What do y'all think? I would like some information ragarding these fish so that we can sell them. I have quite a few costumers that are really into breeding South Americans, but none of us know anything about them.

Andrew

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
Probably somthing from the rhabdotus group from the sounds of your description - or a very close cousin - have you looked into the different pictures of gymnogeo's?

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Could also be in the brazilinesis group ... only like two species out of the dozen or so are described, the rest all have their river names or location names. And all pretty much look like normal brazilinesis, usually just various color differances but haven't heard of that one.

Odds are given the discribition you gave though either in the brazilinesis or as DBS said, the gyn. rhabdotus group as they have a very similiar shape, enough to not know what ya got until they grow out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts