Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a post a couple months ago about sexing Bolivian rams. The rams are doing great, still don't know if they M/F but they haven't bred yet or anything. About a month ago I picked up a Geophagus Tapajos, the last at the store, and we (the LFS owner and I) thought it would be interesting to see how it would interact with the rams (Mikrogeophagus + Geophagus).

Interestingly the Geo almost acts like he's a ram, and the rams have started sifting the sand a lot more since the addition of the Geo. Maybe picking up each other's behavior?

Anyway, has anyone experienced anything like this before? Will the Geo continue with get along with the rams even as he grows double their size?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Follow up question, would rams be able to breed with Geos, considering they’re the same subfamily? The geo seems to be paired with one of the rams; they’re inseparable.

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
I haven't kept Mikrogeophagus altispinosus with Geophagus sp. Red Head Tapajos before. But, I'm not exactly surprised at the behavior of your individual Tapajos Earth Eater. Esp. if that single Tapajos is a male. Earth Eaters in general are a hugely social species, with Tapajos being no exception to that. Where the Tapajos stands out in my experience, is in how dominant the males are in this species. They will literally attempt to take over ANY other Earth Eater species placed with them in the aquarium. Size or physical differences? Nope. That doesn't seem to matter. That aggressive Tapajos male is gonna make his move sooner than later. And.... will probably be successful in driving off the other male that was once in charge of the other harem of Earth Eaters!.
And yes..... those dominant/aggressive Tapajos males can be very tough on the Earth Eater females kept with them. A lot of character displays and drama! You get the whole package, I guess.
So, your Tapajos may just be looking for some company. Individually kept Earth Eaters can get skittish and sort of waste away if not kept with other Cichlids they can sorta pal around with. And yes, it's possible the Tapajos you have will spawn with your Rams. Not likely, as Earth Eater females are maternal mouth brooders and have different spawning behaviors than your Rams. So no... not likely. But when kept in aqauriums, Cichlids have a tendency to do some unexpected, kinda wacky things. :LOL:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't kept Mikrogeophagus altispinosus with Geophagus sp. Red Head Tapajos before. But, I'm not exactly surprised at the behavior of your individual Tapajos Earth Eater. Esp. if that single Tapajos is a male. Earth Eaters in general are a hugely social species, with Tapajos being no exception to that. Where the Tapajos stands out in my experience, is in how dominant the males are in this species. They will literally attempt to take over ANY other Earth Eater species placed with them in the aquarium. Size or physical differences? Nope. That doesn't seem to matter. That aggressive Tapajos male is gonna make his move sooner than later. And.... will probably be successful in driving off the other male that was once in charge of the other harem of Earth Eaters!.
And yes..... those dominant/aggressive Tapajos males can be very tough on the Earth Eater females kept with them. A lot of character displays and drama! You get the whole package, I guess.
So, your Tapajos may just be looking for some company. Individually kept Earth Eaters can get skittish and sort of waste away if not kept with other Cichlids they can sorta pal around with. And yes, it's possible the Tapajos you have will spawn with your Rams. Not likely, as Earth Eater females are maternal mouth brooders and have different spawning behaviors than your Rams. So no... not likely. But when kept in aqauriums, Cichlids have a tendency to do some unexpected, kinda wacky things. :LOL:
Very interesting stuff! I’m very excited to see how this dynamic plays out, and if for some reason he does stray from the group and begins to waste away I will definitely take him back to the store. I’d hate to see such a beautiful fish end up like that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts