Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola

We lost power two days ago twice for 1 second each time. I believe this caused a power surge and my Fluval 405 seems to be dead (lights and heater were plugged into a surge protector, but filter was not. I won't make that mistake again). The filter is 11-12 years old and ran great, but it was a bit noisy for the past 2 or 3 years. I haven't opened the 405 yet to diagnose what went wrong, but I picked up a new 406 this morning figuring if the 405 is a goner, I'll have the 406 on hand ready to go. If I can resuscitate the 405, I'll return the 406. I've been using Fluval 400 series filters for 20 years and the setup seems straightforward, but I watched the quick set up video and I have a few general filtration questions. FYI, the tank is a 55 with 2 very juvenile venustus. They will be relocated in a few months.

1. How hard is it to diagnose and repair whatever went wrong with the 405? I know there's not much going on with the motor mechanically, but if it's not a broken impeller shaft or something I can see clearly, I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm strongly against electrocution, especially on a weekend.

2. Fluval dude in the video has intake and outtake on opposite ends of the tank. I'm assuming this is correct as he is the Fluval dude and I am not. I've always had them next to each other with no problem. Is placing the intake/outtake ala Fluval dude minimally beneficial or highly beneficial?

3. The 406 comes with media. I plan to swap out most/all the media from the 405 to the 406. Si or no? That said, I usually use floss in the bottom basket but the 406 comes with spongy things. What works better?

4. I've never liked the ribbed hoses and was thinking I would replace them with clear airline tubing from Home Depot, but I'm a little worried about proper fit and bendability at the top. Anyone have experience doing this?

Gracias in advance.

·
Super Moderator
1,853 Posts
If you haven't already tried it, plug the filter into a different outlet on a different circuit to see if it still works. I think there is a way to check if the filter is dead using a continuity meter but my go to electrical question guy is sleeping now.

2. You can place the intake and output anywhere you want as long as the output is not pointed directly at the intake. I usually place them on the same side of the tank and direct the output or spraybar toward the opposite end of the tank.

3. You can use 1/2 or most of the old media in the new filter if you want IF the old media is mature. You don't mention if the 2 juvies are the only fish in the tank. I follow the mfg. instructions when placing media in the proper position in the filter. The sponge pads should be infinitely reusable compared to the floss.

4. Are the hoses ribbed on the inside or do you just not like the look of ribbed hoses? You could use vinyl hose from HD but need to be very careful to avoid kinking it where it comes over the tank rim. Take your fittings from the new filter to the store to find a good fit on hoses. You may also want to look at the braided vinyl hose instead of the clear vinyl hose as it is usually more kink resistant.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input, Deeda.

First, the 2 juvie venustus are the only fish in the tank. One is now about 2 inches, the other is 2.5 or so. They will not be in this tank for the long haul...

The 405 seems pretty dead. I tried a different electrical outlet but the filter still only made a slight humming noise. I checked the usual suspects (impeller, shaft, clogs, etc) and everything looked kosher. One rainy day, I'll take apart the the motor head and see what's going on (or not going on) in there.

I hooked up the 406 and used most of the existing bio-max from the 405, and added some new. I used the sponges that came with the 406 in the bottom baskets, and used bio-max in the top 3 baskets as I always do. I also used the 4 new big vertical sponges that came with the 406. On a side note, the 406 is really quiet.

As far as the intake/outtake hoses, I took a shortcut and used the existing setup from the 405, which is still in near mint condition. If anything should get broken, I'll have brand new hoses and intake/outtake set up ready to go...

Thanks again for your input.

·
Super Moderator
1,853 Posts
You are very welcome!

I hate it when a filter or pump only hums, I guess they just don't know the words. :roll: I sort of doubt you'll be able to see anything with the pump/motor head as many of them are sealed in epoxy.

Good call on swapping filter hoses, always nice to have new spare parts in stock.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts