Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just 2 questions . whats the ideal substrate depth , and with mbuna being mainly bottom dwellers is there an optimum height for the rock formations? my tank is 2 feet deep woul rocks half way up be enough?

·
Registered
372 Posts
and with mbuna being mainly bottom dwellers is there an optimum height for the rock formations? my tank is 2 feet deep woul rocks half way up be enough?
optimum height, not really. Its really if your going for function or form. basically the higher you stack the rocks, the more of the vertical space in the tank the fish will use. Mbuna would love it if you you filled the tank with 70% rocks but it would be hard to make it look presentable and good luck every getting a fish out. also keep in mind the higher you stack, the less stable it becomes.

·
Registered
466 Posts
+1 on bmweiler's ideas for rocks. Also for substrate, you want about 1-2 inches, more sand means more room for bad gases to get caught under the sand.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Good info from both, couldn't agree more. :thumb:

I'd also add that you probably want to use egg crate(light diffuser in HD, Lowes) under the rocks before you put the substrate in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts