Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a young pair of GBR's who have spawned for the first time in a 75 gal community tank. They dug a pit and deposited eggs. The male appears to be the one to fan and guard the nest. The strange thing is the female repeatedly goes to one leaf of Jungle Val, pecks at it many times, then returns to the nest and appears to spit something into it. Does anyone know what is going on? I have a video but haven't figured out how to post it...Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a young pair of GBR's who have spawned for the first time in a 75 gal community tank. They dug a pit and deposited eggs. The male appears to be the one to fan and guard the nest. The strange thing is the female repeatedly goes to one leaf of Jungle Val, pecks at it many times, then returns to the nest and appears to spit something into it. Does anyone know what is going on? I have a video but haven't figured out how to post it...Jim
No response to my post so far but, now, today, they have moved the eggs/fry to a crevasse in a rock. The female continues to peck at plants and go back to the rock to spit whatever into it. I have bred Angels and Discus and never seen this behavior. It is fun to watch and I would encourage any hobbyists to get some GBR's and be prepared to be entertained.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No response to my post so far but, now, today, they have moved the eggs/fry to a crevasse in a rock. The female continues to peck at plants and go back to the rock to spit whatever into it. I have bred Angels and Discus and never seen this behavior. It is fun to watch and I would encourage any hobbyists to get some GBR's and be prepared to be entertained.
I am currently wondering if I should find some other forum that shows some interest...I thought this was the one but???

·
Super Moderator
2,025 Posts
Maybe no one has experienced what you are seeing before?

Is this a mature tank that has been set up for 1 year or more? I'm wondering if it's possible the female is picking minute bits of 'bugs' (sorry the actual name eludes me) that are common in mature aquariums.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I’ve never kept rams but it does sound interesting, if you put the video on YouTube you can link to it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe no one has experienced what you are seeing before?

Is this a mature tank that has been set up for 1 year or more? I'm wondering if it's possible the female is picking minute bits of 'bugs' (sorry the actual name eludes me) that are common in mature aquariums.
Possibly no one has experienced this before but, that does not explain the lack of response IMHO.

Yes, the tank is mature. Lots of plants, driftwood, co2 with controller and regular water changes. Cardinals as dithers and Columbian Angels growing to maturity. And yes, the female is possibly injecting something to feed the young. I know that Discus produce slime that their young feed on. But this is different.
I’ve never kept rams but it does sound interesting, if you put the video on YouTube you can link to it
I will try that...Jim

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Sorry your post did not get any responses.
But, @Deeda and @DutchAJ is correct. I've successfully spawned out Bolivian Rams at least, (haven't kept the German Blue Ram before) and have never seen the behavior you are describing.
The problem with this behavior, is the female Ram is picking at and dropping - something - on a clutch of eggs. Developing eggs certainly need to be protected (Really vulnerable! And other fish find them delicious) and they are also fanned by a parent cichlid for cleaning & oxygenation purposes. At this point, neither parent Cichlid 'feeds' the unhatched/developing eggs.
It's possible that what your female Ram may have been picking at and collecting, are these charming little creatures,
Jaw Insect Font Illustration Drawing

These freshwater crustaceans are also known as Water Daphnia. And are a great (tiny) source of food for very small fish, such as free-swimming baby Rams! Not too surprising that your more mature tank would have these harmless residents living in it. Their presence is a very good sign of excellent water quality and top-notch conditions for your care and keeping of the aquarium. Well done!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry your post did not get any responses.
But, @Deeda and @DutchAJ is correct. I've successfully spawned out Bolivian Rams at least, (haven't kept the German Blue Ram before) and have never seen the behavior you are describing.
The problem with this behavior, is the female Ram is picking at and dropping - something - on a clutch of eggs. Developing eggs certainly need to be protected (Really vulnerable! And other fish find them delicious) and they are also fanned by a parent cichlid for cleaning & oxygenation purposes. At this point, neither parent Cichlid 'feeds' the unhatched/developing eggs.
It's possible that what your female Ram may have been picking at and collecting, are these charming little creatures,
View attachment 140229

These freshwater crustaceans are also known as Water Daphnia. And are a great (tiny) source of food for very small fish, such as free-swimming baby Rams! Not too surprising that your more mature tank would have these harmless residents living in it. Their presence is a very good sign of excellent water quality and top-notch conditions for your care and keeping of the aquarium. Well done!
Thank you for the great response! Now that you mention it, the angels and cardinals have been picking at the plants, especially first thing in the morning when lights come on. The difference is the female ram was going to the same spot on the val, time after time. Another thing I noted with the female is a tiny bubble came out of her mouth each time see returned to the nest.

It could be that eggs had hatched and she was feeding the fry. Due to heavy planting a algae on the glass, it was difficult to see inside the nest.

All I can say is they have interesting personalities and are a joy to watch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, its been two weeks and the first spawn didn't turn out well. The parents moved the wigglers into a hole in a small rock.

I took the opportunity to move the parents to their own 10g tank with some white clouds as dithers fish. I then moved the rock with wigglers into a 1g hang on acclimation container with an air lift tube for water circulation. This was attached to the 75g they were born in. There were approx. 10 that made it to free swimming but, before I could start feeding them, they disappeared (died).

So now, it is chapter two. This is what I was greeted with this am when checking things out.

Plant Plant community Terrestrial plant Vegetation Sunlight

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have to hand it to the little female. She is very accurate in placing eggs on the top of a plastic sponge filter intake😁.

I plan to slowly remove the dither fish and am ready with finely ground fry food followed by newly hatched brine shrimp, when the time comes...finger crossed.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Oh yeah... apparently that IS the spawning spot!
And, it looks like you have a couple of very determined spawners in there. If you are getting viable eggs with hatched out fry, then things in your aquarium must be to their liking. I like your adjustments in placing them in to the 10 gallon tank, so hopefully this one will work out much better for everyone this time. :)

Reactions: mrjetcraft
1 - 11 of 11 Posts