Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a pair of GBR's almost 3 weeks ago, came home this evening to find my female in a very strange position over a rock toward the back. Upon further review, I spotted the entire side of the rock covered with eggs. I watched from a distance and could see her laying more and the male going over top of them afterward. I'm not expecting much, especially after reading so many stories about ram failures at spawing, but just wanted some info as to what to look for. Thanks

·
Registered
705 Posts
pay attention to the egg quality. the female/male "should" remove any "white" eggs. they will also regularly swim around them to aggitate the water. they may even move them somewhere else. i suggest u find some way to get a sponge filter onto the intake of your filter as those babies will start swimming 5-7days after hatching and will go EVERYWHERE. another tidbit, is that light will help the parents keep an eye on them. its gonna be important that they see the babies at night so consider a night light. GL to ya sir. temp+ph+fresh water is all u need to keep rams.

·
Registered
337 Posts
It's very cool to be able to catch them in the act, most of the time they spawn when you're not home or other times you can't see. I was able to watch the 4 pairs a friend has spawn at the same time in the same tank! Unfortunately none of them made it, but one pair did make it to wigglers
It was their first time though and they normally get eaten the first time or two before they catch on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts