Cichlid Fish Forum banner
221 - 240 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've used Clear GE 1 (avg price $4.50CDN) and WeatherShield 100% clear silicone from Home Hardware (3pk $11.97) for resealing a tank and on two 3D backgrounds.
No problems to date with either brand. Tip: I always wear disposable gloves, quick cleanup :thumb:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Just bought a tube of GE I today at HD and it said 100% silicone on the front.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This thread has been very helpful. I aquascaped with layered slate in my 90/gal, and I am going to silicone a few pieces together. Going to try two pieces as a sample, since most of u are using it on glass. Keeping my slate perfectly balanced when I do a teardown and rebuild is a migraine. So I will test it out and see how it works. I will let u know in about two weeks, to allow time for curing. I have to take a few pieces out of the tank and let them completely dry first, thanks all, this has been great education! :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
I got a tube of GE silicone I window and door and proceeded to patch a 10g an a 46bow front. After its all said and done I read on the back in the smallest print ever "not for use below water level" ಠ_ಠ. Some people say safe, others say not safe. I guess I'll fill up the 10 and stick a tetra in it and see if it dies or not lol. How long should it take before I see death/sickness from whatever malicious chemicals may be in it?

·
Super Moderator
40,527 Posts
It took 2-3 days for me.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Now I just have to find a spot for it....

But the fish had no symptoms? Just bellied up? I wold prefer to try and pull the fish out if it starts exhibiting symptoms..

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Ptyochromis said:
I got a tube of GE silicone I window and door and proceeded to patch a 10g an a 46bow front. After its all said and done I read on the back in the smallest print ever "not for use below water level" ಠ_ಠ. Some people say safe, others say not safe. I guess I'll fill up the 10 and stick a tetra in it and see if it dies or not lol. How long should it take before I see death/sickness from whatever malicious chemicals may be in it?
The warning about not using below water is if used it as a caulk. It isn't marketed for aquariums.Unless something has changed, GE Silicone I for Windows and Doors, contains no mildewcides, and is safe.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Sorry, totally forgot I was going to sacrafice a fish for the sake of science

Ill, clean the tank out with vinegar, rinse and let it sit with water for a day before I add a betta to it. Should I float something like translucent plastic to lower it's stress? or just let it in the empty tank?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
here's what i did, go to ANY hardware/paint store, home depot/ lowes, fred meyer,up here in the pac northwest, in the paint section ..

.............then you dont have to worry bout ge I ge II or window /door,, kitch/bath.gutter or whatever!!....... It says safe for EVERYTHING!! :roll:

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
B.Roberson said:
here's what i did, go to ANY hardware/paint store, home depot/ lowes, fred meyer,up here in the pac northwest, in the paint section ..

.............then you dont have to worry bout ge I ge II or window /door,, kitch/bath.gutter or whatever!!....... It says safe for EVERYTHING!! :roll:
Hey Roberson...

Does it come in black? I read your thread about your 90. Awesome setup, btw. I remember you mentioning you wish you had not used clear silicone on the sides. The reason for asking if it comes in black.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've used the all purpose ^^^ picked it up from ace. I didn't have much luck with it. Whatever you are using it on, make sure you take some sand paper to it first. I trashed it and picked up the GE sillicon 1, does a much better job. My local Ace only has it in clear, no black.

221 - 240 of 258 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.